The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been fooling around with my horse for very long as I am tired of riding with all that tack! I have spent many days looking around on the internet for websites that will help me train my horse to ride bridleless, I am riding bitless in a western bridle at the moment, I would like to end up with just a neck rope .. Does anyone have any websites/tips that can help me train him for that?

Would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
One of the best trainers on bridleless in my opinion is Stacey Westfall; I would check her out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
the most important thing is just to make sure that your horse has a good stop, either vocal or through your seat. If he has a good stop and neck reins the transition to bridleless is really simple. I don't have a neck rope but have slipped my bridle off and held the headstall with one hand and both reins in the other with the reins under his neck. He rides fine like that.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Rding brideless can become very uncomfortable. I have gone on rides with a small stiff rope hool a hoop and I got tired of my hand being held against the withers.
Also good horseman ship forces me to get off at the head of the laneway, loosen the saddle and walk the horse in on foot . Leading with a hool a hoop around the neck was uncomfortable again.
It is not a comfortable way to ride but if you want to show off I guess you can figure it out.
I use to get the cows in the back forty, I carried a piece of baler twine in my pockets. The horses stayed with the cows so I just went up to one, slipped the twine around his neck and hoped aboard bareback and drove the cows home. I then slipped the twine and turned him loose once back at the barn.
When I see people riding bareback and bridless I feel they are just fooling themselves , pretending to be one with the horse.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well what is comfortable to some may be uncomfortable to others but in MY opinion, I would rather ride bareback and bridleless ANY DAY. The first 9 years of my life riding was bareback and bridleless. I don't think it is for "showing off" as some may say. I do feel that I get better responses from the horse being bareback than I do with the saddle. If you have a horse that works off of pressure, cues, and a good whoa, then bareback is the way to go. I don't expect everyone to understand, but for anyone wanting to go this route, I do suggest it, but it isn't for everyone as stated from the post up above.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i ride my horse bridle less a lot ! i just rode him with a halter & rope til it was easy, then just a rope around the neck til it was easy. then nothing. he is really responsive to my seat & shifting of weight...i think its really fun !

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
well, the way I taught my first horse, Leia to do bridless was simple. Every time I rode her, I used a lot of leg and seat. every time I said 'whoa' I'd lean back, deep into the saddle, over emphasizing so she'd understand faster. every time I'd turn her, I'd use a lot of leg on one side and stop the pressure as soon as she turned. I practiced for bridless by putting her bridle on, tying the reins so they wouldn't get in the way, and rode bareback for a while. I didn't take the bride off right away, so I had sort of an emergeny stop thing. when she was perfect at the leg and seat and voice commands alone (no reins) I got on her in the arena without anything on her (not even a neck rope) and rode her. I even did a dressage test!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rding brideless can become very uncomfortable. I have gone on rides with a small stiff rope hool a hoop and I got tired of my hand being held against the withers.
Also good horseman ship forces me to get off at the head of the laneway, loosen the saddle and walk the horse in on foot . Leading with a hool a hoop around the neck was uncomfortable again.
It is not a comfortable way to ride but if you want to show off I guess you can figure it out.
I use to get the cows in the back forty, I carried a piece of baler twine in my pockets. The horses stayed with the cows so I just went up to one, slipped the twine around his neck and hoped aboard bareback and drove the cows home. I then slipped the twine and turned him loose once back at the barn.
When I see people riding bareback and bridless I feel they are just fooling themselves , pretending to be one with the horse.
I find bareback WAY more comfortable for me and my horse. I feel closer and more in contact with him.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, the way I taught my first horse, Leia to do bridless was simple. Every time I rode her, I used a lot of leg and seat. every time I said 'whoa' I'd lean back, deep into the saddle, over emphasizing so she'd understand faster. every time I'd turn her, I'd use a lot of leg on one side and stop the pressure as soon as she turned. I practiced for bridless by putting her bridle on, tying the reins so they wouldn't get in the way, and rode bareback for a while. I didn't take the bride off right away, so I had sort of an emergeny stop thing. when she was perfect at the leg and seat and voice commands alone (no reins) I got on her in the arena without anything on her (not even a neck rope) and rode her. I even did a dressage test!

Thank you! I am going to try this next time I go see my boy.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
I find bareback WAY more comfortable for me and my horse. I feel closer and more in contact with him.
I don't like the wet feeling between my legs and if you want to travel at a nice working trot for an extended time good luck.
I had the girls steal my head stall and then canter off. It was no big deal to lope off after them and when they saw I had really no problem without anything on the horse they gave it back. It was a relief to feel the reins once again in my hands.
I have loped circles in the arena at times but with a blanket between me and the horse to prevent this wet feeling and it was fun but not something I would want to do for hours on end.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't like the wet feeling between my legs and if you want to travel at a nice working trot for an extended time good luck.
I had the girls steal my head stall and then canter off. It was no big deal to lope off after them and when they saw I had really no problem without anything on the horse they gave it back. It was a relief to feel the reins once again in my hands.
I have loped circles in the arena at times but with a blanket between me and the horse to prevent this wet feeling and it was fun but not something I would want to do for hours on end.

I ride bareback all the time, I find trotting easy because my horse has a very light bouncy nice trot. I guess it all depends, after all you are a man and I am a girl. :p

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
The saddle isn't only there to stop you from falling off. It also helps distribute your wieght across the horses back. As far as bridleless goes, you should have absolute perfect control of your horse at all gaits before you think about going bridleless. When proffesional horsemen do it they are showing you that their horses are really broke. They didn't get that broke by being ridden bridleless. They are ridden bridleless because they are that broke.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
The saddle isn't only there to stop you from falling off. It also helps distribute your wieght across the horses back. As far as bridleless goes, you should have absolute perfect control of your horse at all gaits before you think about going bridleless. When proffesional horsemen do it they are showing you that their horses are really broke. They didn't get that broke by being ridden bridleless. They are ridden bridleless because they are that broke.
On the saddle part, I've ridden bareback for years, and haven't had horses get sore from it; I geuss it depends on your seat, and comfort level, whether you do it or not. A person can sore a horse by riding improperly in a saddle too. And certainly a person who slides around alot bareback can do the same thing.

I definitely second this; I've trained horses to ride brideless, but it is a PROCESS, not simply something you just decide to DO one day! :D Your horse should respond to your seat, and leg cues perfectly before you attempt to 'forget' about the bridle. And you'll want to practice riding bridleless before taking the bridle off, as was suggested above, by simply having it on, but not using it unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I ride with either drop reins or bridleless quite a bit. Good way to work and stay out of your horses way.

If your horse is well trained and works off your legs and seat dropping reins or bridleless is quite easy.

Like has already been mentioned Stacy Westfall bridleless video is quite good to showing you the cues and how to train them if your horse has not already been trained to work that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd love to ride bareback and bridleless, but because I don't own my own horse the best I can do is bareback every once in a while. Good luck to you at training your horse!

·
Registered
562 Posts
i ride my horse with a halter and lead rope only. hes wonderful like that and i also want to eventually try riding him with just a rope around his neck. i think that would be really fun and interesting

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
i love to ride bridless with my horse, i dont get to as much as i would like because it isnt very good manners to ride like that when other people are in the arena (blah! they dont think i have as good control over my horse!! which i do, theyre just paranoid, lol) but i love it, i am trying to collect my horse and practice that right now,she doesnt really understand the 'half halt' part of it! haha

but i did groundwork with just the rope around her neck before i got on...well, the very first time i just hopped on, haha im a little reckless. but to make it sold i practiced with her on the ground. my friend who is a little more cautious then me rode with a saddle first, just to help her keep her seat (she needs to ride bareback a little more!!) but i is very exciting! i have actually tryed an extended trot(not as good as with saddle and bridle) haha but it was quite bouncy! but fun. good luck!

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
i love to ride bridless with my horse, i dont get to as much as i would like because it isnt very good manners to ride like that when other people are in the arena (blah! they dont think i have as good control over my horse!! which i do, theyre just paranoid, lol) but i love it, i am trying to collect my horse and practice that right now,she doesnt really understand the 'half halt' part of it! haha

but i did groundwork with just the rope around her neck before i got on...well, the very first time i just hopped on, haha im a little reckless. but to make it sold i practiced with her on the ground. my friend who is a little more cautious then me rode with a saddle first, just to help her keep her seat (she needs to ride bareback a little more!!) but i is very exciting! i have actually tryed an extended trot(not as good as with saddle and bridle) haha but it was quite bouncy! but fun. good luck!
Your fooling yourself if you think that is what riding bridles is about. As Kevin put it earlier "you are only stealing a ride".

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.