The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal. I am absolutely determined to get my boyfriend to ride, even just once. However, being not super into horses, he's decided that he only wants to ride a Clydesdale (Don't ask me why, probably has something to do with the fact that they're associated with beer xD). Now I am not against riding draft type horses at all, however, I know it's not really common practice, especially in my area. I'm super determined though because he's made a deal with me that I can teach him to ride if he gets to ride a Clydesdale.

So yeah, long story short, I was just wondering if any of you have a Clydesdale whom you ride, or know people who do. I'm especially interested in people who live in southeastern Pennsylvania, cause that's where I am xD

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've never ridden a clydesdale (ridden percherons and belgians though), but if he wanted to try riding one you could take him on a trail ride to see if he even liked it. I've only heard of the Pocono Clydesdales, never actually been up there and dont' know the people. The pic on their site doesn't look like clydesdales, but def drafts. Who knows maybe they actually do have a few? Pocono Clydesdales, Pocono Manor, PA 18348 (570) 839-0925 Pocono Manor Stables - Pocono Manor, PA

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I am of no help, being in Indiana but the farm I board at has a Clydesdale and she is a trail horse. :)

She's a BIG girl too. At least 17.1

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I've ridden a Clydesdale. It's like riding a couch. I loved it. I know there are a couple of posters on here who have Clydes or Clydes X they ride.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've ridden a Clydesdale. It's like riding a couch.
Ha, what a fantastic description. I've ridden many draft breeds, Clydes included. They are quite lovely.

My suggestion would be to call around to local trail riding stables and see if they have Clydes on-hand for the heavier people that come out to ride. I worked at a dude ranch where drafts were used as trail horses; anyone over 250 lbs. was put on a Clyde or Shire.

That way you could go on a simple trail ride and see if he really wants to continue with the 'deal' you two made. ;)

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I've ridden a Clydesdale. It's like riding a couch. I loved it. I know there are a couple of posters on here who have Clydes or Clydes X they ride.
The clydesdale I rode was like riding a couch with a jackhammer on each end. That horse was even rough at a walk. I had the same experience with a percheron but I rode a shire stallion that was very cool. He was small for a shire only 17 hands and 1500 pounds but he could move like his feet didn't touch the ground.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Were are you in PA?
I got an email from a woman trying to find someone to rider her clyde mare. Shes around the horsepark. Or try some trail rides at haycock?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
The clydesdale I rode was like riding a couch with a jackhammer on each end. That horse was even rough at a walk. I had the same experience with a percheron but I rode a shire stallion that was very cool. He was small for a shire only 17 hands and 1500 pounds but he could move like his feet didn't touch the ground.
I had a Belgian gelding that was like riding a big floating super stuffed teddy bear. He was great to ride but dumber than all get out. He was hard to catch. You'd chase him all day before you realized all you have to do to get him to stop is touch him anywhere on his body. Then he'd just stand there. Some drafts are rough. Some are dandies to ride. I like them because I'm not a small girl (5'7 150lbs) but they make me feel like it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have 2 gelding Belgians, my 2 driving/riding geldings are like riding a tank at a trot. I think it has to do with them being driven, they have a different gait than my riding Belgian, he's smooooooth, he just doesn't canter, (he's 5 and still in training, I don't think he is completly secure with someone on his back running so I don't push him.) I would say stay away from a horse that drives and rides, at least for his first time, the roughness might make your boyfriend really not like riding.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I rode a Percheron at my riding instructors, wow what an uncomfortable trot. Just about bounced my butt out of the saddle even when posting. He was a very sweet and well mannered boy, I just am use to smooth stock type horses. My husband's half Belgian is a dream to ride. Must depend if they have the cart horse action or not. Make sure the horse is smooth and sweet or it might be impossible to convince him to get on a horse again.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Were are you in PA?
I got an email from a woman trying to find someone to rider her clyde mare. Shes around the horsepark. Or try some trail rides at haycock?
I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. KoP to be specific. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the horsepark.. :\

But yeah, I've met plenty of Belgians and Percherons that are ridden, but not any Clydesdales. I don't think I've seen any Clydesdales in the area at all really, and he specifically requested Clydesdales. Doesn't really have to do with his size, like I said, my theory is that it's because of the Budweiser Clydesdales.

The issue with taking him on a trail ride is that he's actually kind of scared of horses. I don't think he'd do to well out in the open the first time. At least in the arena he'll feel like the horse can't run off with him.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
really?

xeventer17-Tell your boyfriend that Budweiser is now owned by a Belgian company, he needs to ride a Belgian :)

hmmmm didn't know that. lol. unless it's not true and you're just joking and then I had good reason not to know that. lol.

Back on topic. I have a 17.3 Clyde Mare. she's absolutely a dream to ride. I have done tons of work with her on her strides so she can do any speed, the faster trots if not posted hurt my tail bone but she floats at the canter and gallop. If I just loosen the reins and let her go it feels like she doesn't eve touch the ground.

Like some others have said it really depends on the horse.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THE bucks county horse park.
The trail horses at most places that rent are very very quiet.
hmmm. Strange, but I've honestly never heard of it... well, that's a lie, the name jogs a memory but I've never been there. I checked it out online though, looks cool.

And it's not so much about how the horses act, as it is about my boyfriend's confidence. He won't want to do a trail ride, and if he does, he'll be so stressed out he'll end up hating riding. Thanks though!! :]

xeventer17-Tell your boyfriend that Budweiser is now owned by a Belgian company, he needs to ride a Belgian :)
Really?? I didn't know that.

Back on topic. I have a 17.3 Clyde Mare. she's absolutely a dream to ride. I have done tons of work with her on her strides so she can do any speed, the faster trots if not posted hurt my tail bone but she floats at the canter and gallop. If I just loosen the reins and let her go it feels like she doesn't eve touch the ground.

Like some others have said it really depends on the horse.
Hmmm, good to know! :]

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yep, there are no longer the Budweiser Clydes at Sea World where Bud was a sponsor...... couldn't tell you who bought them but my hubby would know.

My gelding is a perch/clyde/paint/TB cross, appears to be 3/4 draft. He's about 18 hds, 1800+ lbs. He is so smooth to ride! I think just like any horse, it's the conformation that makes a comfortable ride, not the breed. My husband is a little intimidated about riding him even though he's quieter than our paint, just because of the size.

Goodluck in your search!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, there are no longer the Budweiser Clydes at Sea World where Bud was a sponsor...... couldn't tell you who bought them but my hubby would know.

My gelding is a perch/clyde/paint/TB cross, appears to be 3/4 draft. He's about 18 hds, 1800+ lbs. He is so smooth to ride! I think just like any horse, it's the conformation that makes a comfortable ride, not the breed. My husband is a little intimidated about riding him even though he's quieter than our paint, just because of the size.

Goodluck in your search!

Awww, that makes me kinda sad :[ I saw the Budweiser Clydesdales at the Devon Horse Show (a big show in my area) a few years back and I thought it was pretty cool.

But yeah, due to my man's fear of horses, I never really expected him to request to ride a Clyde!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I rode a part clydie at a trail riding centre in New Zealand. BEAUTIFUL trot, like a cloud, but HORRIBLE canter.
So, if your boyfriend's just starting out, he might feel quite secure on a clydie, as they're so wide. Someone in the above posts explained that its like riding a couch. Not far off the mark!!! lol

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Haha!!! When my friend had a Clyde/QH cross, we went on a 3 mile ride to the local church Super Bowl Party...and she told me that Clyde's brakes were like a semi's... :shock: He had a super smooth canter, and a trot you HAD to post with. BUT ask him to stop and it took a few paces! :lol:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I think stopping power also depends

Haha!!! When my friend had a Clyde/QH cross, we went on a 3 mile ride to the local church Super Bowl Party...and she told me that Clyde's brakes were like a semi's... :shock: He had a super smooth canter, and a trot you HAD to post with. BUT ask him to stop and it took a few paces! :lol:
I think that size plays in a bit but training is a lot when it comes to that.
I have a word specialized for an instant hault that I use with Caleigh. If for some reason I lose balance or if I'm ground driving or longeing (sp?) her and I need her to stop immediately, she knows STOP! Once, loud and assertive. If I'm asking for just a whoa, couple steps out and ease into it I say Whoa. Again assertive but STOP means slam on the brakes and don't move, where whoa means slow down and ease into it.

I have ridden many horses that don't just stop and only ease into and others that just stop no questions asked. So I think it depends on the training. HOWEVER, if I have her at a full gallop and I need a STOP she will trip if told to slam on the brakes at that speed and most like buckle and face plant. I'd prefer a safe moving dismount or one rein hault in that sort of situation. Just my opinion and experiences though.

Just remember horses of any size are powerful animals and if they don't want to stop for some reason it's going to take A Lot to pull that animal to a stand still. Again just my opinion and experiences.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.