The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all loose our horseback riding confidence at times, what do you do to regain that hard earned self-esteem?

When I begin to loose my riding confidence I normally work hard at doing small things and gradually work up to doing larger, more complicated, and at times frightening, things. Baby steps- that's all! :D

·
Registered
872 Posts
what do you do when you trust yourself but no longer trust your crazy horse?
Depends.... I would have bought my last lease horse, but I had a very nasty mounting spill off of her and could NOT get on her after that (because I would freak myself out). Get some training rides on your horse, ride some horses that you trust, just do little things until you start to trust your horse again. As apc said, baby steps! =]

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
im the type of person that doesnt remember the pain something gave me, i have done lots of stupid things that almost killed me, then the next year i think: oh,that would be fun! and i endup doing it again.

so ive never really had the problem of being scared of getting on a horse. :p

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
what do you do when you trust yourself but no longer trust your crazy horse?
What I do is to step back and access the problem. If it's something new then I've got to look at physical problems such as teeth, saddle fit, etc.. If he was always a problem then I didn't do a good job of training or retraining and I get some help. Sometimes a horseman is too close to the problem to see the solution.

·
Registered
268 Posts
What I do is to step back and access the problem. If it's something new then I've got to look at physical problems such as teeth, saddle fit, etc.. If he was always a problem then I didn't do a good job of training or retraining and I get some help. Sometimes a horseman is too close to the problem to see the solution.
I definitely agree, especially about the last bit. I'm one of those people that at times is pretty unaware of my "physical location and stance". I'm lucky to have my husband around to let me know, "Hey! why the heck are you doing that "insert my mistake", this is how you should be doing it." :wink: lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.