The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to ride in a halter for a little while because the horse I am riding for lesson has a small cut where the bit goes. My question is what can I do to help slow her down and get her more in frame?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Depends on her training, really.

I can get my mare to go nicely in a halter, but she's better in a bridle

Really use your seat, not just your hands.

Reactions: flytobecat

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She a great mare it just she sometime tort fast to do less work so I just need some help slowing her down a bit.
She well train and I am training her to be a school horse for my trainer but she just need some work on her canter and jump because she get
A bit fast. But if it was up to me she would never be a school horse because she as a really soft mouth and I am saced that she will become hard mouth and she can be hard head sometime not lisson until you put her in her place and some rider can't I use to be one of those rider that would let the horse win but I lean that you can't just let them get a way with thing.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
You should work her to slow her down in the halter the same way you would work her to slow her down in a bit. Don't pull, use your seat and legs, and when she get's pushy or fast, don't pull against her with both reins, use circles, serpentines, sidepasses, haunch and forehand turns, counterbending, etc. Basically anything to get her mind off "fast" and back on you.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My horse does almost as good in a halter as in a bridle because when I ride with a bridle I make sure I always give him clues to what's coming next before the bit actually moves. For example, I use my leg and seat in unison with my reins to steer, my horse knows to stop from 'whoa', when I want him to flex (lateral or vertical) I always pick up my hands or jiggle the reins some before making contact. That way, when I ride in the halter he isn't so used to feeling the bit moving around in his mouth that he doesn't know what to do when I use my other aides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.