The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Teddy picked up his left lead first time when being lunged in the round pen, I'm wondering if maybe riding him in the round pen might be a good idea. He has not consistently picked up this lead when being ridden in the same size circles by me in the arena.

It is a 60 foot round pen. Would that be OK for him (he is a small horse with a big step)? If so, how long would you all think he could be cantered in there? Maybe 5-6 laps? Maybe more?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I ride in our round pen which is 55ish feet and not perfectly round. I rarely lope in there because of the ground being so soft and trippy. But I think you'd be okay.

·
Super Moderator
10,038 Posts
Your horse should be okay.

I occasionally do that as part of a horse's rehab. To strengthen, or stretch, or just get a very one-sided horse used to one lead or the other.

Some of the colt starters ride and lope in the round pen to build balance and use different muscles.

Oh... Most horses here aren't backed until they are four and not worked until five years.

·
Super Moderator
10,038 Posts
Sorry. I passed on the number of laps.

5-6, even 10, is probably good the first several times. I go with feel. I don't want the horse too fatigued so that they become sour. I watch and check for heat in the legs. I check for soreness in the shoulders, ribs and back, and haunches.

You can increase the laps to the horses needs.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Breeding farm I worked on years ago, only had a largish round pen to work in, all the pastures were filled with brood mares and foals. So it was the round pen, the long driveway, or the road passed dozens of pastures filled with trampy mares, lol. I was riding a young breeding stallion, boy that taught him to be a gentleman in a hurry. Not only did I do the majority of the riding in the round pen on the stallion, I trained three other horses in there, all three gaits, because all I would do on the road is walk and trot.

Reactions: ACinATX
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.