The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riding Journey and Progress, Will I ever get into Shows? Should I lease a horse now? How high could i jump by the end of next year?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Acadianartist 
#1 ·
I've started riding 3 years ago. However, I wasn't consistent, and I would be riding on and off meaning I would take a lot of monthly breaks in between. Also, I didn't ride for most of 2020 due to COVID. I've also moved recently so it took some time to find another barn and I've found the right barn for me. I started riding in this barn about 6-7 months ago, and I could say I'm pretty consistent. I'm still taking my lessons and haven't took any break since. I've been getting really motivated this time and fell in love with riding even more and I will be starting riding consistently from now on. I could say I'm progressing really fast as well. I'm very comfortable with my walk, trot, and canter, and I've cantered and trotted over cavalettis and I'm very balanced. I've been recently jumping 30cm or 1'0 crossrails and i'm very in control and balanced and confident in my two-point position while jumping. I wouldn't say I'm rushing as I'm very confident at my current level and I love new challenges. I'm wondering whether I should start leasing a horse since I'm only riding a TB lesson horse at my barn. Is it the right time to be leasing a horse now? I also never went to any shows :/ So I'm wondering when I should start to do all that. I have the money to get into a show, but I just don't know when the right time is for me. Considering I'm progressing quick and at this pace, I'm wondering whether I will ever get into a show possibly next year? And, if I would lease a horse, what qualities should I look for in that horse? And I'm also really hoping to jump the 0.80s or about 2'6 at the end of next year but I'm not sure whether that is a realistic goal for me to set or not? I would love to hear your opinions on this based off of your own experiences!

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I would take it abit slower. You see to many nervous riders with terrible position these days. This is in my opinion caused by putting the fences up too high to soon. But if you are confident jumping a 30 cm course with all different types of jumps in a good position then you should move up to say 50cm. I don't know about your area but by me there are plenty of small jumping competitions. You can lease at any experience, just remember that nobody is going to let you lease there horse that can jump 80 on the basis that you will improve to that level. So personally I would wait until you are jumping that sort of hight before looking for a lease otherwise you will be going through them very quickly. But again that's up to you. If your barn has good lesson horses and you just want to improve don't lease. If your barn isn't so good and you want to learn more general horse skills lease.

#3 ·
Great advice above, solidify skills and see how far you can go with the lesson horses. Re: lease horse, it’s really about making the commitment in terms of riding only one horse and the time, expense and responsibility.

As someone learning, you are probably better off riding multiple horses so you have well rounded skills. However if you are finding that the lesson horses can’t jump the height you are able to and you are really into it then maybe makes sense to proceed with a lease and agreed most people won’t want someone learning on their horse.

Re: shows, you mentioned you have saved up for one. I have never done show jumping but it seems that once you do it, you’ll likely want to do more and it is super pricy from what I have heard from my friend whose daughter did show jumping for a few years.

#4 ·
Shows are more than the fee for the class or classes. In many barns you also have your trainers fees and if not rolled into the trainers fees there may be barn fees to use and haul the lesson horse for that day. Extra spending money if you don't pack and plan food and drinks for the day. Clothes to show in as well. Easy to drop $250 or more for one local show on just fees. Talk to your instructor now so you have an idea of what you need available cost wise.

As for the rest, you have great advice in the replies above. Don't rush. Better to learn on several horses as you progress and then once you get to upper levels and are spending more time at a level leasing a horse that can move up with you is something to consider.

#5 ·
Talk to your instructor(s) about shows. What kind of shows does your barn typically go to? My barn usually only goes to low-key "fun" shows, and the lowest level of those shows is called "pile of poles" where instead of even a crossrail there's just a pyramid of three poles: one stacked on top of two. You can canter or trot. You can also trot the crossrails. So, you'd be able to do such a show now.

Would your barn let you show on a lesson horse? Some do and some don't. If so, then I wouldn't rush into leasing a horse.

Lesson horses may give you a false sense of security. Lesson horses, at least the good ones, know their job and will do it even if you're doing things like sending conflicting signals, not using your aids correctly, "hitting" the horse in the mouth after a jump, etc. Lease horses can be a mixed bag. Some are a amazing and some are difficult. You'll have to pay more to lease an amazing one than a difficult one, but paying more doesn't guarantee that you'll get an amazing one.

There is a lady who rides in many lessons with me. She has been riding a BTDT lesson horse who is great with jumps. One day this guy was lame, so they put her on a different horse. It was someone's personal horse that the barn owner uses for lessons sometimes. Well, this horse took a long spot on a jump (the rider hadn't ever had to control the horses speed or step into jumps because the lesson horse just did it for her) and the rider had a bad fall. She wasn't expecting the long spot and her position wasn't great either. And bear in mind, this was a willing horse that didn't even think about stopping or ducking out of the jump.

#6 ·
I liked the previous reply not that I liked the woman falling but that this brings up that there is so much more to jumping than height and position of rider. So, so much more. You need to get all of the so much more down before worrying about moving up in height.

#7 ·
The lesson horse that I do ride currently is truly a million dollar horse! He is very calm and as you said he is the type that knows their job even when sending conflicting signals. The problem is that my barn wouldn't let him show and I'm considering leasing a horse when I'm ready to get into a show.

#9 ·
So you'll want to start getting experience riding different horses. There is a similar horse where my daughter sometimes rides, and all the kids want her of course. She will jump anything safely, take care of her riders, but she is a senior now, and the owner won't let her do too much - rightly so. She will make anyone look good, and some young riders have gotten a false sense of confidence from riding her. It is good to get experience on a horse like that at first, because you can work on your position without worrying about the horse, but once you have that down, ask your coach if you can try it on a different horse. That's when you will know for sure that you are ready to show. And since the horse you are currently riding cannot be shown, you will need to ride a new horse eventually anyway, so why not ask if you can try another horse sometime? Just explain that you realize your current horse is very solid and knows their job, and you'd like to push yourself a little and deal with a horse that will make you work a little harder. But if your coach says you're not ready, then wait. They know your level and will know when you are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.