The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be riding my new mare, lena for the first time since we got her, tommorow :)

She is trained in reining, and very very good at it. But, hasnt really been worked for a few months. Ridden a few times by neighbors and me, but not working her hard.

When I ride her, should I just walk, maybe a slow jog (its kinda icy, snowy) And, should I get her to bend properly for reining, like get her all collected up, or leave that for later on?
Maybe just go slow and easy at first since she hasnt been ridden in awhile?

I will also get my mom to take pictures :)
Thanks

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone??

·
Registered
86 Posts
If its icy and wet and snowy then id stay to walk/jog. Bending and flexing would be a good idea- Dont baby her because its a new environment/place (if she spooks dont turn and go the other way or if she doesnt want to do something make sure she does it, dont bully but be firm). Ride as you normally would and just maybe for half an hour to an hour she will probably be out of shape and stiff so do lots of bending!! Good Luck
POST PICCCCCS!!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
How did it go?! Pics?!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did it go?! Pics?!
It went pretty good.. I only got to ride for a few minutes, because the snow kept packing up into her hooves and turning into ice in there.. it was bothering her, so I didnt really ride much.. 2 times around the arena at a walk :)
She was really quiet and good though, she is such a sweetie! I could have dropped the reins on her neck, and she would just walk along quietly and listen to me through leg/seat aids :)
ahhh I love her soo much! She even put up with me (for the most part) for picking out her feet for 5mins each foot a billion times hehe :)

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Glad you had a good 'first ride' since owning her!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Did you end up buying the saddle that her old owners had for her? Or did you buy a new one?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you had a good 'first ride' since owning her!!!! :grin:
I rode her again today (the snow melted), and i trotted too! I rode for about 30mins, but it was good! She was realllly good girl! I <3333 her soo much!

Did you end up buying the saddle that her old owners had for her? Or did you buy a new one?
My parents got me the saddle that the old owners had for my xmas present :D I will have to take pictures of her all tacked up, shes so pretty!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm glad you finally got to ride Lena, especially after you had the smarts to wait till she was settled!

YES we'd love piccies :)

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Pictures!!!! I demand them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.