The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm an entrepreneur and mom of a young equestrian, looking for feedback on your child's riding apparel. Would you be willing to share your thoughts on what you like/dislike? Apx age range 5-12. Specifically, for lessons only, does your child find riding "tights" more comfortable than breeches? How often does your child ride? Would you/child be open to bright & fun patterns? Does that matter to you/child or are traditional colors preferred for your child's weekly lessons? What's important to you/child in riding tights/breeches? Any other feedback is greatly appreciated...thank you so much!

·
Registered
314 Posts
My DD does not ride regularly (only holiday pony camps). She is at the older end of your age range. Does not really like bright colours and fun patterns, but likes some bling (sparkly bits) and not in black or beige. She prefers navy over those or any other solid darker colour (burgungy, forest green etc).

As a parent, I would say sizing to fit the sizes that kids actually are. Or maybe do European sizing, which is based on height, and go up to a decent height. Both DD and I are super tired of the fact that she is only 12 but is sized out of most kids clothing. In some brands, the size 16 will fit her, or its ok in length but ridiculous in width. Then in other brands she is too tall and has to wear a woman's XS.

·
Super Moderator
14,386 Posts
As someone who has seen people ride in spandex and tights ....
Patterns are often distracting to the eye, especially when to busy...
I'm not an instructor so take my comment with that understanding.
If I was a trainer/instructor and parents of a student came to me for guidance in what and where to buy/purchase...
I would tell them neutral colors, solid pattern and the darker shades are most practical to hide dirt/filth acquired doing barn/riding duties..
If show clothes, then specific to the child, the horse they will be astride to coordinate and be seen or blend together would be what was looked to achieve.
You want clothes to emphasize not make your eyes go wonky trying to see a leg position, quiet or loud in motion...
If I was a show judge and a rider appeared in my ring with loud clothing...I would look and evaluate and then look elsewhere.
Riding attire is a traditional sport in what to wear...it is not to wear bling and sparkly loud...depends upon if you are looking to play the fashion fad game or the equestrian game of understated elegance as is what "english riding" is and came from and seems to be not straying to far from lately, actually returning some to sensible not so outlandish and crazy..
At least in my area, I see our equestrians of all ages out and about not in tights of patterns, but if in tights they are solid colors, pretty colors, but muted and darker shades on young of around 8 to later aged teens...adults do riding jeans or boots & breeches.
Bling would be limited to silvery thread. No adornments or embellishing on back pockets as dangerous to saddle seat literally of scratches and cuts made..
Embellishments along a leg can be binding and uncomfortable when you need to bend and posture your leg in certain positions when riding...
🐴... jmo...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My DD does not ride regularly (only holiday pony camps). She is at the older end of your age range. Does not really like bright colours and fun patterns, but likes some bling (sparkly bits) and not in black or beige. She prefers navy over those or any other solid darker colour (burgungy, forest green etc).

As a parent, I would say sizing to fit the sizes that kids actually are. Or maybe do European sizing, which is based on height, and go up to a decent height. Both DD and I are super tired of the fact that she is only 12 but is sized out of most kids clothing. In some brands, the size 16 will fit her, or its ok in length but ridiculous in width. Then in other brands she is too tall and has to wear a woman's XS.
Thank you for your feedback. I completely understand the sizing issue you mentioned above-- it's the same situation for my daughter who is 10!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As someone who has seen people ride in spandex and tights ....
Patterns are often distracting to the eye, especially when to busy...
I'm not an instructor so take my comment with that understanding.
If I was a trainer/instructor and parents of a student came to me for guidance in what and where to buy/purchase...
I would tell them neutral colors, solid pattern and the darker shades are most practical to hide dirt/filth acquired doing barn/riding duties..
If show clothes, then specific to the child, the horse they will be astride to coordinate and be seen or blend together would be what was looked to achieve.
You want clothes to emphasize not make your eyes go wonky trying to see a leg position, quiet or loud in motion...
If I was a show judge and a rider appeared in my ring with loud clothing...I would look and evaluate and then look elsewhere.
Riding attire is a traditional sport in what to wear...it is not to wear bling and sparkly loud...depends upon if you are looking to play the fashion fad game or the equestrian game of understated elegance as is what "english riding" is and came from and seems to be not straying to far from lately, actually returning some to sensible not so outlandish and crazy..
At least in my area, I see our equestrians of all ages out and about not in tights of patterns, but if in tights they are solid colors, pretty colors, but muted and darker shades on young of around 8 to later aged teens...adults do riding jeans or boots & breeches.
Bling would be limited to silvery thread. No adornments or embellishing on back pockets as dangerous to saddle seat literally of scratches and cuts made..
Embellishments along a leg can be binding and uncomfortable when you need to bend and posture your leg in certain positions when riding...
🐴... jmo...
Thanks for your valuable feedback, much appreciated!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Riding attire is a traditional sport in what to wear...it is not to wear bling and sparkly loud...depends upon if you are looking to play the fashion fad game or the equestrian game of understated elegance as is what "english riding" is

My daughter is not out to "play the fashion fad game". 90% of her clothing is purchased second hand, she has never read a fashion magazine in her life, is home schooled so not exposed to peer pressure and trends, does not even have her own cellphone, social media, or anything else like pretty much every 12 year old does. If she likes a bit of bling in the one thing she might get purchased new for her, because it is hard to find anything second hand that fits her height, she is just a little girl wanting something special and pretty. Bling for her, she would be perfectly happy with something tiny.

I agree on the dark colours to hide dirt, and this is what my daughter asks for specifically. So many of the basic styles though only come in black and beige.

Fabric wise, she prefers a cotton/spandex blend that is relatively thick and hardwearing and hides underwear lines. Not a thin synthetic fabric.

Style wise, she does prefer a pull-on because it is easier for her and she has sensory sensitivities and the pressure of the top of a zipper and a button near her waist are aggravating and uncomfortable (I am the same so fully understand; I exclusively wear riding tights because I can't stand a zipper and button).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh... I remember my mom bought me light brown breeches when I started riding (we are talking about 30 years ago) and I loved them
And wanted to wear them all the time so she went and bought another pair, only this time they were the brightest PINK you could think about and I was deathly embarrassed to wear them.
Fwiw. My son (7) today likes to wear riding stuff that is blue, not particularly fancy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh... I remember my mom bought me light brown breeches when I started riding (we are talking about 30 years ago) and I loved them
And wanted to wear them all the time so she went and bought another pair, only this time they were the brightest PINK you could think about and I was deathly embarrassed to wear them.
Fwiw. My son (7) today likes to wear riding stuff that is blue, not particularly fancy.
Haha! I can relate to that!

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
My son sticks to darker shades of breeches. Before aged out of your range though I couldn't get him in breeches. He wore polo (the sport) jeans - khaki or tan stretch type by Tuffrider. When I've done any basic instruction and same for my child's instructor it has always been fitted pants, tucked shirts, no distracting colors or patterns. Helmets if you want to show some color or pattern was fine for lessons. Safety vests were blue, green or black. Same reason - nothing distracting.

The instructor wants to see the lines formed and how you move.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My son sticks to darker shades of breeches. Before aged out of your range though I couldn't get him in breeches. He wore polo (the sport) jeans - khaki or tan stretch type by Tuffrider. When I've done any basic instruction and same for my child's instructor it has always been fitted pants, tucked shirts, no distracting colors or patterns. Helmets if you want to show some color or pattern was fine for lessons. Safety vests were blue, green or black. Same reason - nothing distracting.

The instructor wants to see the lines formed and how you move.
Thanks for the feedback! Best to not make anything too distracting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts