The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I repeat this is not supposed to be a debate about the safety of riding with a vest or without.

No debate, it's been done to death.

So since Ella's tendon puffed up very minorly,
( for more check out my minor tendon inflammation thread in horse health)

Our work has consisted of walking laps of the paddock, probably walking 10acres of the 15. This is a huge step out of both of our comfort zones, we've been harassed by kangaroos, goats, killer cats, killer butterfly's oh and those black and white missiles in the shape of magpies.

She copes with these reonably well jump forward and stop. Which leads me to believe that other behavior is simply testing me.

Like I said hugely out of my comfort zone on my green mare. So I had to find a rather large amount of HARDEN UP!

have succeeded by carrying a crop ( go button broke!) and wearing my back protector,

Now I've ridden in this one about 5 times always jumping. Amazingly comfy. Now riding on the flat it's so uncomfortable! I'm quite short so it bumps the back of the saddle making me lean forward and I can't get the whole dismounting thing! I keep bumping it on the saddle. I feel like its pulling me down although grabbing ,my bra straps hoicking up the girls helps a little.

Am I the only one?
How do you ride in these on the flat?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't know which design of vest you have but I had similar issues with my first one as I'm quite short in the body. It was constructed from foam panels wrapped inside a "waistcoat cover". I was able to remove the back foam panels and trim the base away until I felt comfortable. Be careful, if you can do this with yours, take off a little at a time and assess, you can't stick the foam back together if you cut too much off at once!

Now I have a different design. It's a large child's size :shock: but it fits perfectly and needed no adjustment whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ride in a Harry hall vest. I'm not buying another one for temporary nerves. As I said brilliant in a forward seat not so good with the leaning back! It's the body armour type, foam with a lightweight cover.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The kids at dd riding school all wear the Tipperary vests. The fit issue is probably due to having a shorter body length. One of the girls here has to use a different, older vest for the same reason.

With the dismount, all of the kids are taught to dismount in reverse when wearing a vest so it doesn't catch. These are fairly quiet horses/ ponies though. You basically get your feet out of the stirrups, bring your right leg up and over the front of the saddle, sit side ways on the horse so you're facing outward, then hop off.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Funny, at first I was going to say it must just be too long for you in the tailbone section, but then I realized I have never sat in the saddle while wearing mine except for those sitting canter balancing strides coming into a tricky fence. Even then I don't remember ever feeling mine bumping the saddle, so I'm thinking it might just be a wrong size. Maybe tack it into a tack shop and see if they think it fits you?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have the same problem :( my vest bumps on the saddle. I'm not sure I want to "cut" it though, I'm scared that if I fall I will hurt my sacred bone (I mean, what's the point of having a vest if it doesn't protect what's supposed to? I can ride without if I don't want the extra protection)

I am very short but I kind of have bulk in the front area, so a child's size would never fit me

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I have the same problem :( my vest bumps on the saddle. I'm not sure I want to "cut" it though, I'm scared that if I fall I will hurt my sacred bone (I mean, what's the point of having a vest if it doesn't protect what's supposed to? I can ride without if I don't want the extra protection)

I am very short but I kind of have bulk in the front area, so a child's size would never fit me
It depends on the model. I have a Tipperrary and it has two straps on the side that I can adjust. I'm definitely not child-sized in the top!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't remember the brand of mine, but I think I'm wearing a bigger size strapped at the smallest, not a small size enlarged. I don't know if I make sense ;D I just bought what they had in the saddlery...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Cielo, the vest that I had issues with was professionally fitted by a (supposedly) trained salesperson. They even had a model horse and saddle to sit up on and test it out. However, when it came to actually riding in the vest, it was just too long for me and each time it hit the saddle, the vest jarred upwards and caught me under the arms. After trimming the foam back slightly, it still provided good cover for the base of my spine. I certainly don't feel that I compromised the effectiveness of the vest had I taken a tumble. Otherwise, as you say, it wouldn't be worth wearing. Much happier in my new vest, though :D.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.