The Horse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a great idea that I tried out recently and love!!!

Riding with music!!!

Just use your ipod or mp3 downloads player and give it a try.

Some of the best rides of my life have been ridden along with musical rockers and cowboys!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I've got enough noise in my life. I actually prefer the natural noise of the forest to anything thats on my ipod. I can live with out music for a few hours each week.

I like hearing the horses grunt, snort nicker, I want to hear a pheasant or turkey as they bust into the air. Plus I enjoy having a conversation with my riding buddies. I want to hear the distant voices of mountain bikers as they race downt he trail, At least I know they are getting close and I can be ready if my horses shy. I want to hear the snort of bull elk or deer when they see me coming through the trees. With out that advance notice, I might not even see them as they disapear.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'll only use my ipod on a trail ride with a horse that I trust with my life. I haven't done that for a few years though. My show jumper is a great horse, but I don't trust her that much because as soon as I stop paying attention 100%, she spooks at something stupid and I just know she'd do that if I had an ipod.
I won't do it with my 3yo for a looooong time. I'm all for a stereo when riding at home though. I just wish there was a power cable long enough to go up the back paddock!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
thats kind of dangerous because you wont be able to hear for heavy traffic ect.

i sometimes ride with the music lightly playing on my phone so that way i can pay attention to my surrounding and the horse while having a bit of background music

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
II like hearing the horses grunt, snort nicker, I want to hear a pheasant or turkey as they bust into the air.
Exactly! I want to be aware of the world around me. Besides, if riding - and hiking, biking, skiing, or any of the other things that I see people doing with plugs in their ears - was so boring that I needed to zone off into my own personal sound track, I'd go find something more interesting to do :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I turn on the radio when I'm otu riding in the ring, but not on trail rides. Too many things could go awry; I'd much rather have my senses fully focused.
I know what you mean about having great rides with music though! The perfect song can make a moment that much more amazing.

·
Registered
965 Posts
^^Totally agree!!! Music in the ring, especially if you're alone, is really good and actually kinda helps you focus (at least it does me anyways). I also, don't bring anything that has to deal with music with me when on the trails, it can be too much of a distraction from all angles.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
i lovelistening to speakers in the arena, but i love hearing my horse ad stuff :p and when im out on the trail my favourite thing is to hear wildlife, and if my ipod was in i wouldnt be paying as much attention and i wouldnt know there is a coyote den by the pond, or that a moose is over there and stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I agree with both sides here. I LOVE having the music, and more so since I do alot of riding alone, but headphones create unseen dangers. So I went to walmart/bestbuy and bought a cheapy speaker thing that is battery powered and your iPod fits inside. It comes with a clip on it that I can hook right to my saddle. That way I can turn it on low and listen to it on my ride without it blocking out other noises.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.