The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to a new barn where there isn’t a mirror in the arena. It’s a hunter/jumper barn. I only take 1 lesson a week and am struggling with self improvement. Previously I was able to make breakthroughs and deepens understanding on my own because I could see what I was doing while I was doing it and make adjustments. I’ve tried recording but it doesn’t seem to help as well, because I have to go back and look at it and can’t make changes until after.

Any tips for this? I have yet to discuss it with my trainer, but am planning to.

It is causing pretty big issues even during lessons for me, because I just cannot feel very easily what I’m doing and become overwhelmed. This was true for me even before I started riding with a mirror.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Mirrors are a great tool because they can help you in the moment to see what's going on and fix it, but it's also easy to become dependent on them. Definitely talk with your trainer and see if they have any tips, but I think this is something that will just come down to time. Maybe during your lessons you could spend a chunk of time just working on feeling what is right, while working on something you and horse are confident with. And since your instructor is there on the ground they can tell you if you're doing it correctly or not so you can make changes in the moment. As for improving while you're on your own, that will just take time and practice to get to the point where you can feel what is happening. Again, focus on things you are already confident with, to start.

It's kind of like when you first were learning to ride and would have to look down to check your diagonals at trot. But over time, and training yourself to not glance down, you've learned to feel it and it's easy to know which diagonal you are on. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,085 Posts
Mirrors are great, but I've done 99.999% of my rides and lessons without a mirror and have still made a ton of progress! Trust your instructor and trust yourself. You'll develop feel for where everything is and what it's doing, I promise.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can say i have never ever had a mirror available.
I think as with anything if you become dependent then your other senses become weakened. I would say you should focus more on tuning your feel. Speak to your trainer but work in your self too

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
I've never had a mirror at any barn I've been at, but I think you need to give yourself more credit. :) Videos can definitely help. I have a Pivo, & it actually tracks me/follows me around when I'm riding my horse. That may help you, since you don't have a mirror, it's close enough!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand how you feel. I feel stagnant at the moment when I'm riding a horse. The advice that I can give you is to remind you of each thing you must do when you make your exercise on the horse (keep your hands in a good place, your aids in the right place, etc). The more you will correct yourself the more you will do the right things to ride better, like horserider with a better level.
The feeling is also important so that you know if you are doing the exercise correctly. If you feel that your horse is balanced, that it moves its limbs and body well where you want to go, you've got it.
I don't know if it's your case but if you could ask your trainer to change your horse to see if your position is good too. I asked recently my trainer to change my horse and I can retain that I can ride one horse properly as well as another. Obviously, each horse has its own difficulties and facilities but for similarly trained horses you will be able to see where you stand. You can also ask to stay with the same horse to improve more quickly. Do what is best for you.
As for the mirror, if you look at it all the time you are no longer focused on where you need to look to guide your horse and you lose, in my opinion, the connection you have with it.
The simplest thing is that you constantly think about positioning yourself well and ask your trainer to correct you as much as possible on what you are doing. The rest (good reflexes) will come from practicing. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts