The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard of rolkur forming in a horses neck due to over bending of the neck and heavy hands, now im not possitve this is true!
Is this positin okay,idont think it is overbent bt she doesnt put her head on the verticle its ither below or above, now im 14 so that is the only reason im asking because i dont no as much as older people who have been riding/training longer!and ps she is only 4!;) just broken, so i can imprve her neck ;)!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31419819&id=1124032007

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thankyou, shall correct that.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Chloe, anything south of vertical is overbending. IMO, you are expecting too much form a green broke 4 year old. Being green, your horse is just learning balance and impulsion. Pulling her head to an unnatural position is the wrong way to go.

Give your pony time to get the basics down pat before working on a perfect vertical headset. Worry more about aids and collection.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i no i dont ride her with her head in, but she does bring her head in anyway.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
If she has a natural headset, that's great. I am only going on your post and your picture.

·
Super Moderator
26,368 Posts
Are those leg warmers on that horse?! LOL...

She's really cute, I agree with Iride, at four I wouldn't worry about headset so much as forward motion. cute pony though.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
yes i no i dont ride her with her head in, but she does bring her head in anyway.
You have no slack whatsoever in those reins, so you're the one pulling her head back. She's not doing it herself.

Please don't blame the horse for your inexperience.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My mustang trots with his head in this position- in the pasture, at liberty. But I'd NEVER pull a horses head past the vertical. You are going to cause major damage to her neck and spine doing this. Her back is not rounded and she is not collected.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Yes, that is behind the vertical. but a arched neck should only be a relfection of a round back with impulsion, not the cause of it.

Once your hrose is older and has found his balance and everything, push his hind legs into your hand (if he curls under like that then you will have to fix that first)

someone started a thread asking about good dressage books, check that out, it will help you understand collection and how to get a horse collected more :)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Like someone said before, if she is green broke, you shouldn't be worrying about her headset too much. Also, in that picture, you are collecting her solely with the reins. Collection starts from the back, and you should use your seat and leg to collect her, along with the rein. I say this cause your legs are dangling. You need to learn how to properly collect her before just forcing her head to bend. BUT you need to wait til she's a bit more experienced and gets the hang of carrying a rider easily and balanced. She's cute though :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
She is behind the vertical. And for such a green horse, and any horse for that matter you do not get a correct headset from pulling their head down. You work their bodies forward. Bringing their hind ends under them and getting them to carry and collect them properly and that in turn will get the head into the position it should be. What I see in the photo is you pulling and holding your horses head down. If your horse begins to get behind the vertical as she is here you need to squeeze with your leg a bit to get her hind end moving forward which will bring her head back up to where it needs to be to be properly balanced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts