The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimmey Lame On Right Fore??

6K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  Hondo 
#1 ·
If I'm understanding what I see and have read, Rimmey is lame on the right fore. Would like to have confirmation. Thanks.

#34 ·
Yowza, that was nerve wracking..

He doesn't look lame in any of his gaits.

I would hazard a guess and say he caught the healing hoof just right on something, it caused pain and down he went. Or he isn't completely recovered and lost his balance in the wet.

Are you keeping the hoof covered for turnout? I couldn't tell.

A video of him walking toward you and past you might be better to really see if he is off somehow:)

#35 ·
I think you may be right about the ouch causing the stumble although there are some real soft areas around there.

No protection for turnout as he is on turnout 24/7. The entire 60 acres is mostly dirt and sand with a few rocks here and there. If I pony him out of the field I will most definitely boot him.

I have a call in to the owner about having the vet check it out now that it's open and an x-ray is not needed to see if there should be some epoxy protection of any areas. But the way he's acting, I'm hoping he's on his way. That said, I figure 6 months minimum.

Rimmey is dominant over Hondo and has been acting rather submissive (for him). But now I noticed he's getting back into being a little pushy when sharig pellets and also noticed his efforts toward "herding" Hondo were met with a pair of feigned double barrels, just to let Rimmey know there was a limit.

So just his overall behaviour, alertness, and composure has really came back the last couple of days. I missed it with the camera but he threw a couple of pretty good bucks while I was on Hondo with the camera. There was no reason. They had just had their afternoon tea and crumpets. I questioned in the past if horses really did stuff like that just for fun but I'm now beginning to think so.

Four years ago I rarely saw horses playing but now see it often. It was windy and there is a front on the way so they were feeling spry. Right after the video they both dropped there heads and went about peacefully grazing.

#38 ·
Here's a update on Rimmey. It's been around seven weeks since his foot was soaked and the old frog detached in front. It is all gone now and has been for a while. The tiny miniature frog now in place is about twice the size when first exposed seven weeks ago. Growing very very slowly. There is a small circle about 1" in front of the frog that I suspect is the site of the original puncture. There are two pieces of grass pointing to it in curved fashion.

In the past I was sort of opening that spot and treating with Vetericyn but the vet said it might be granulation tissue trying to form and perhaps I should leave it alone since Rimmey was no longer lame.

Rimmey is very solid in all gaits now. I have decided the big stumble in the video was a gopher or ground squirrel hole which there are a lot of in that sandy area. Oh well, we'll never know. But I see him move to a gallop at some point on most days.

I am a little worried that the frog cornium may have been permanently damaged in that area and that the frog will never grow completely out. Time will tell.

Meanwhile he is as said totally sound. I am leaving his heels and hoof wall a little long on purpose for added protection. If his frog does not grow back, I'm hoping the sole in that area will overlap for protection.

Since clearing up the infection and worming for round and tape worms which were present in his float, Rimmey's ribs have disappeared although they can be readily felt and his pointy hip bones have taken on their normal rounded appearance.

Don't know if it was the worms or the infection, probably a little of both.

Olive ridley sea turtle Turtle Reptile Kinosternidae Tortoise

#40 ·
Here's a recent side shot of him. Filled in nicely.

Rimmey is very mutton withered with measurements almost exactly the same as Hondo.

Apparently someone at some point tried a saddle on him that was way too wide. The white hair on his wither is not golden mane, it's white hair like the spots on each side.

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Terrestrial animal Mane

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.