Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My horse Willow has some weird looking scabs on her face that showed up over the weekend. I looked up Ringworm online and the scabs look like hers, although ten times worse., and everywere. Ringworm is going around where I live and Willow has been hanging around the fence next to the cow's pasture. Is it because she just got over Rain rot in Sept. or is it something else?? Please help!:cry:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Without doing a culture or skin scraping, you can't be sure whether it is fungal or bacterial in nature. You can start out treating any skin infection with betadine daily. But if it's not clearing up or if the situation is severe you need to contact your vet to get a firm diagnosis and systemic treatment to help clear it up.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
my mare came in one day with weird scabs all over her nose. I cleaned it off and slathered it with desitin and it went away in a few days.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I'm with Ryle. :) You can't tell for sure. You need a test. But you can still start using betadine or iodine to treat it (that's what we did).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Anti fungal cream everyday also works and doesn't run in their eyes. You can get it at walmart in the phamacy department.

·
Registered
749 Posts
betadine is both antifungal and antibiotic, and in the case of potential ringworm, this is one time I would go ahead and suggest using it. Ringworm is too contagious to dilly-dally around with. Careful application can avoid any adverse affects on most horses. This isn't a type of infection that just stays with it's host because there is a weakness in the host (like thrush or WLD), this could spread to other horses, dogs, etc, and YOU, so better to be assertive with it.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Alcohol? Ouch!
Stick with products made for horses for Fungal issues.

Your best bet would be too call your vet and them come out to do a test. Ringworm is hard to get rid off and only a limited amount of products work, that you'll more than likely have to get from your vet.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I wipe cuts off with alcohol all the time without any complaints. But they usually arent fresh when I find them.

Ive been told to mix cortizone and triple antibiotic, it is suposed to work fast.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Alchohol most definitely stings and is harmful to tissues. I've stuck my fingers with fresh scratches and pokes into jars of alcohol cotton balls way too many times at work for you to tell me that it doesn't sting. It is a poor choice for wounds or skin infections.

Sillybunny, cortisone and antibiotic ointment has it's place in treating wounds but it shouldn't just be applied to anything. This combination is used to prevent proud flesh in healing wounds but it is going to slow healing somewhat and increases the risk of infection because the cortisone stops the body from fighting off infectious organisms like bacteria or fungi. So, it's not a good idea to just put this combination on any wound. Plus, if this is a fungus then an antibiotic cream isn't going to help things and the cortisone will keep the body from fighting the infection.

Betadine is both antifungal and antibacterial, that is why it is commonly recommended as the first course of treatment for skin issues and is used for cleaning wounds. You can get betadine solution to use during the winter so that you don't have to rinse it off. Just apply it to the affected areas (not right next to eyes) daily and see if the condition begins to improve in a couple of days. If not, contact your vet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My yearling has ringworm on his face at the moment as well. When I first saw it I thought he was rubbing against something in his stall, but after close examination of his stall and the spot on his face I determined it was ringworm. I have been treating it daily with a betadine wash, and then Tinactin (anti-fungal) cream. It seems to be working.

Remember that ringworm is a fungus and spread easily (I now have it) and should not be taken lightly. Although it does go away by itself in around 16weeks, it is highly contagious, and can live in stalls tack ect.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I agree with the consensus that betadine will be your best bet and if you don't see any improvement, call the vet.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I would be afraid to really wash my horses face off with iodine. Do you guys think alcohol on a gauze pad would work?
Well, you don't spray it there. :) We basically put some on cotton ball or gauge pad and cleaned the areas gently.

And BTW be very careful and wash your hands after messing with your horse. You don't want it to spread around.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Iodine and Eyes is a no no. Remember to isolate her and everything that comes in contact--brushes, halters etc. Wash them with bleach and water.

Ringworm usually doesn't bleed or ooze so be careful. Strangles does and man o man watch out. Get a Vet to check her out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.