The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boy Diamond has some...messed up hair. When he was rescued, his mane was matted beyond saving so the random chunks that could not be brushed out were chopped off. So now it sticks up all over. It's growing out slowly, but the other day, I got to thinking... Maybe I could just roach it and then let it grow out. However, I can't decided whether or not I think he'd look good with a roached mane. He's part Morgan and has the characteristic full, insanely thick mane and tail. I'll attach some pictures - sorry if they'd ridiculously huge :lol:. Opinions are appreciated. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
One of my old horses messed his mane up terrible!
He kept sticking his head through the fence.

I had to roach it.
I think it actually makes their neck look refined.
Plus, when it grows back, it grows nice, and even.

I'd go for it, but tis' your decision, hehe :wink:

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I'd say band it, or braid it so you can train it to one side...

Although roaching can be a way of helping the hair grow in even, I don't know that it will help you actually train his mane to stay on one side, only banding and braiding can help with that.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha. I kinda like that it parts to both sides. :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'd keep it. I like how it parts on either side. It's suave, RICO suave... Gives him a sort of James Bond quality. Very attractive =P

·
Registered
956 Posts
in the forth picture you can see a short spot of mane near his withers. I would probably trim the rest of his mane about that same length but don't roach it!! lol :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
In my opinion, if you roach, their mane won't grow back the same. My horse had his forelock roached(I'm not sure if that's what you would call it with a forelock lol) when he was younger (saddleseat at saddlebred shows forelocks are a huge no-no) and I have been trying to grow it out ever since.. and it hasn't grown back the same at all. I've heard from multiple people that have roached, that their horses manes don't grow back the same.
If I were you I would pull it to make it even or as even as possible, and train it to one side..

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
oh my goodness! that is a lot of hair!
well I'd probably either roach it or pull..but it sure would be something to pull that mane..O.O

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've never pulled mane, but I've done alot of roaching.
I was always pleased with the results.

But, pulling Diamond's mane would seem to take quite a while? :shock:
Haha ..

By the way Diamond is beautiful ..
He has the prettiest face in your Avatar picture.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Think about this also though; When you roach you either have to keep doing it or when it grows out it will stand straight up for several long months. I think it would be worth it just to maybe let it finish growing out the way it is, or trim the longer pieces so it looks a little more even throughout.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm really undecided about it. I love, love, LOVE his beautiful long thick mane, but the chunks are bugging me. I want to show him this coming season and I want everything to be nice and even. If I trim everything down to the same length as the shorter chunks, I think it'd stand straight up anyway! lol And I really do not have the patience that would be required to pull that mane. I pulled an Appy's mane and got really sick of it before I was even half done. lol So I thought of roaching. And the dilemma is, I'm trying to decided if he'd look good with a mohawk basically because I know it wouldn't grow out enough in time for showing.

EDIT: Diamond says thanks for the compliments. :lol: (He's thinks he's hot stuff.)

·
Registered
74 Posts
i would roach it. i love the way roached manes look and it seems like itd be way easier instead of pulling specially if you dont like pulling manes

1 - 20 of 27 Posts