The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a halter filly who has, for lack of a better visual, a bushy mess of a pony mane. It's THICK! And I've attempted pulling her mane, and she hates it. Tosses her head, stomps her feet, and just makes a fuss about it.

I've seen a trend coming in lately where instead of the process of banding, thinning, etc, that a lot of people are now roaching their QH's and Paints.

The thing that's keeping me from buzzing it, is that her neck takes alot of work to look good, and she's palomino, so I fear it's going to be like "HAI I AM THE PINK PRINCESS FILLY!" That, and it's going to take forever to grow out, that's my fear too if it looks bad.

Anyone else who shows AQHA or APHA that has done this, on what terms to you decide to shave a horse's mane, how long does it generally take to grow out, and what color was your horse?

PS: Don't get me wrong, I love banding and the look of a great band job, but she just really hates it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
ive never roached my horses mane but if you are planning to roach it now. if you dont like it you can just use some mtg and have a short mane by show time.where i show ive never seen a stock horse have its mane roached.if your a professional shower you might wanna check the AQHA or APHA handbook.if your horse has a nice thick neck then it might look good when you roach it. pics would help a lot!

·
Registered
375 Posts
No roaching please. You can get thinning shears to help thin the mane out some, or the special pulling combs that basically cut the hair at the neck instead of pulling it. Also, if your horse hates pulling, try to do very small amounts of hair and only do a bit each day. Once you have it pulled to a good thickness, do weekly maintenance so you'll never have as big of a job again. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I don't show, and I don't own any stock breeds, but my best friend has a Quarterhorse whose mane she roached a few weeks ago. She doesn't show or anything either, but it looks so great and really makes him look bulkier than he already is. He's a solid black gelding. I also roached my TWH mare's mane last year and it really made her whole body look bulkier. My girl is a bay.

I personally love the hogged/roacked/mohawk look...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xD she had a mohawk because of how short her mane was when she was in the futurities. It was fun to play with. It's something I'm considering 8\ I don't know though.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
This really isn't on topic but I'm going to share it anyway. When I was younger I worked on a very large ranch in the sandhills of nebraska. During calving and branding time the ranch needed many saddle horses but in the summer and winter months not so many. Thier solution was to lease extra horses from an outfitter in Wyoming. One of the other cowboys was too lazy to pick the burrs out of his horses mane so he roached it. The outfitter got the horses back about 3 weeks later and immediately called the guy up and started chewing on him. If I recall correctly his words were "The only people in Wyoming that roach a mane are queers and now everyone's going to think I'm a queer too". If any of you have ever met an outfitter you know that they can sometimes run short on political correctness.

I hope nobody was too offended by this. I just wanted to share a funny story about mane roaching.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I know it's very different over here - But where I live, almost ALL stock breeds have their manes hogged. Especially for campdrafting - The mane gets tangled up in reins and you can lose your cow in the second it takes to untangle! I love hogged manes - I hog all my horses, even my arab. I have never had anything but positive comments on it either.

Here is my boy (ASH) roached and at a show. He actually has a very QH-ish build.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He does look like a little QH n___n Maybe I'll roach it. The $$futurities aren't till fall, that's plenty of time for her to grow a mane back.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I think you should do it. Like someone said earlier, if you don't like it you can just use some MTG and grow it back. But I think it will look good! My mom has a really stocky QH with a crappy little mane and I'm just dying to roach it, I think he'd look awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts