The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This, to me, isn't really that big a deal. I personally think I was being tested here but tell me what you think. I rode my horse for about 20 minutes on monday. As soon as we got out there not even one lap around the arena, she stopped. I was actually testing her to see what she would do, such as roll. She has never rolled before with anyone on her. She dropped down and rolled. I was able to get off in time though. Also, she hasn't really been rode all winter long, just let out to frolic here and there. Still, no excuse though and I'm aware of that.

When she did, I stood there and waited for her to stop. As soon as she stopped and stood up, I took the reins off and ran her around the arena for a bit, both ways. Than stopped and got back on her. She was fine after that. I rode her yesterday and she didn't even attempt to roll. Why do you think she did this??

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Does she have a chance to roll on her own time, regularly?
I'm just wondering because I read somewhere, a long time ago (I'm not sure if this has been substantiated at all, but it sounds reasonable), that horses have a psychological and physical NEED to roll and if they aren't able to roll it can actually be bad for them. I think the article compared it to cracking your back, when you have a crick in your back and can't do what you need to do to get rid of it, it's a horrible feeling!

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
You just stood there and let her have her roll???:shock:

That was very nice of you.:lol::lol:

See I am learning manners.

I'm having a real hard time here biting my tongue. Maybe I should get down and roll?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I think that what Rio is trying to say - maybe too nicely (LOL) - is that you just reinforced her tendency to roll. She may not do it again for a bit or she may do it each time you ride her but the long an short of it is that your letting her was very wrong.

Each time you come into contact with a horse, you are training her. Each thing she does that you allow, means it's OK to do it. The more you allow it the deeper ingrained it becomes. Never - ever - allow a horse to roll with you on her back or even while you are leading her - ever. You are creating a dangerous behavior.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I agree with the above. I kind of see where you were going with "seeing what she would do" but the most important thing to do when training is to stop a behavior at their very first inclination to do it. When you realized she was going down for a roll, you should have done everything you could to get her moving forward. *That* was the time for the correction, not after she had done it.

The good thing is, now you know what the signs of her about to go down for a roll are and the second you see them, get that girl moving!

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I also agree with the above posters. You just taught her that it is OK to get a good roll in while riding, and bonus, it gets the rider off.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
She probably had an itchy back and wanted it scratched. Next time she tries to go down yield her hindquarters around and make her move. Don't let her lay down every time she wants.

·
Registered
673 Posts
She probably did it because she was itchy. I'm in agreement with everyone else. Don't let your horse do this. It's fairly common when crossing water for them to try this, and you definitely don't want to let them get away with it.

I used to be a trail guide for a stable that took the public on trail rides, and we always needed to tell people to keep the horse moving through the water. Nearly every time, there would always be one or two that attempted to roll in the water.

I knew a girl a long time ago that had a BLM mustang. He stopped and rolled during a class in show one time because he was itchy. He ended up covered in sand. His owner, a 11 year old girl, was very embarrassed. He was a pretty naughty horse, and it was just another behavior that he got away with. (The girl wasn't confident enough to deal with a formerly wild horse)

It was funny at the time, but it's really not that funny. Just another behavior you don't want to encourage. "Look! I trained my rider to jump off my back when I roll"

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
a lady at my barn broke her leg when the horse got down to roll when she was riding.... not ever an ok behavior

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, here's my opinion. Have any of you ever heard that when someone/something does something bad, than they get "arrested" for it?? Well, thats what I did. I let her roll, she got up than after she did that bad thing, she got arrested for it. It's as simple as that. She has not rolled on me at all since then. No, I'm not setting her up for failure at all. There are plenty of different ways to train/break a horse of a bad habit and this is my way of doing it. It hasn't failed me yet and it wont. I probably shouldn't put this on here. This is one of the worst websites for horses to get good information from. All I every hear, eevn on other posts is people being totally rediculous.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
You do a foolish stunt and you expect roses and accolades? Your horse got arrested? You need to grow up child and learn about horses and behavior. If you feel that all you get on this forum is ridicule, then you should consider what it is that you are doing. What you got was solid advise. You are dealing with a horse, not a hamster.

If you feel that you would get different advise after posting what you did, then that is a forum that I would avoid like the plague.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
People and horses are two different creatures, and you have to remember that. With a person, arresting them after the fact, no matter how after that may be, the person remembers exactly what they did wrong, and why they are being punished, but a horse thinks differently. A horse thinks in the moment. They don't remember why they are being punished now for something they did 2 minutes ago. As far as they know they are being punished because you walked in the stall, or you took the bridle off, or whatever the case may be. Your way may not have failed you yet, and maybe it never will, but the best way to correct a horse and get the point across, is to stop them WHILE they are doing the undesired action. As soon as she starts to roll, make her get up and run around, don't wait for her to get up on her own, when a horse bites, correct as soon as they start to grab your shirt or whatever, not after they have already bitten you. I could give more examples, but I think that gets the point across.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ok, here's my opinion. Have any of you ever heard that when someone/something does something bad, than they get "arrested" for it?? Well, thats what I did. I let her roll, she got up than after she did that bad thing, she got arrested for it. It's as simple as that. She has not rolled on me at all since then. No, I'm not setting her up for failure at all. There are plenty of different ways to train/break a horse of a bad habit and this is my way of doing it. It hasn't failed me yet and it wont. I probably shouldn't put this on here. This is one of the worst websites for horses to get good information from. All I every hear, eevn on other posts is people being totally rediculous.

If you stopped the person from doing bad before they even did it or when they showed signs of doing bad, then the whole problem can be solved with it even manifesting.

What most people here are telling you is exactly that. Stop the behavior before it happens (when possible).

I'm glad that what you did seemed to work, but if you prevent, you don't have to correct.

Take for example a horse that turns around to bite you while you're grooming it. The horse probably started this bad behavior by turning into the person, nudging them, and it progressed into biting. Do I want to prevent the biting from ever happening by correcting the turning in, or do I wait for the horse to actually bite me before I correct it?
That's just the way I see it.

(I find it funny that you joined, by choice, a forum that is "the worst")

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
My cousins horse rolled when me n him were riding them into a pond to cool them off, hahaha it was the funniest thing ive ever seen in my life, my cousin sat on the hroses side as sam (the hrose) rolled onto his other side in the water XD
personally, i think you handled it fine, now you know what it feels like when shes about to roll, and nextime? you can just give her a nudge with your legs to keep her going. and maybe it was a once in a million years kinda thing... if it were me i wouldnt be freakin out about the horses bad habits or anything, i would be screaming "YOU BLOODY HORSE! YOUR GOING TO BREAK MY SADDLE' tehehe but thats jsut me

·
Registered
610 Posts
Is it wrong that the first thought in my mind was "did the saddle survive?" I don't know about the behavior, but I do know I'd be shooting flames over an expensive piece of equipment being ruined.

this coming from a mom who is trying to teach her daughter the value of the saddle and bridle she got as a Christmas present. I think I've done a darn good job on that on...

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
^haha thats what goes through my mind, yesturday, my horse took off on me and i decided not to bail because the bridle would get ruined haha and if any horse dared to ven scratch my precious saddle......... haha

·
Registered
865 Posts
Is it wrong that the first thought in my mind was "did the saddle survive?" I don't know about the behavior, but I do know I'd be shooting flames over an expensive piece of equipment being ruined.

this coming from a mom who is trying to teach her daughter the value of the saddle and bridle she got as a Christmas present. I think I've done a darn good job on that on...
I hope not because that is the first thing I thought too. :lol: Anyway...I agree with everyone else, hope you get it all sorted.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well, I should say that I was bareback. So, no saddle, thank god, or else I'm sure it would have gotten messed up...shes a big girl. This isn't the first time I've had a horse try to roll on me, so basically what I was saying in my first post when I said that "it wasn't a big deal", I meant that it's not anything new to me. My little story on the arresting deal, was taught to me by a previous instructor when I first started to get into horses a looonngg time ago. So, when Iridehorses, says that I need to grow up, that means that my 60-something yr old instructor needs to grow up too? Also, I've heard that arresting situation before. What I did when I made her run around...I immediately got off, and as soon as she got up, I was after her like flies on garbage! Granted, I probably should have pulled her up immediately, yet I do not know the last time they were out, I'm sure it was a loonng time ago. They do not stay at my house, and techinically, they are my aunts horses. I basically adopted the one I'm talking about now, because no one wants to ride her because she's got a major 'go' button, which I've calmed her down with that, and I also sacked her out and she does amazing with unfamiliar objects now. I see all others views on how I should/should have taken care of things, but every horse is different and this method that I have works out, and has worked out for all the other horses I've worked with.

I don't necessarily think the forum is the "worst", yet the people on here just seem soooo **** judgemental, it can be extremely rediculous at times. All I'm looking for is advice on WHY she might have done this, not what I should do...ya know??? And those comments some leave when they say, "I'm biting my tongue right now"...that's not helping a bit dude! All I asked for was WHY, WHY, WHY...I don't have time for these childish comments SOME of the people on here leave/have left. Thats all I'm trying to say.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.