The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am uber-new to this website and I figured, since I was wondering, why not? So I was looking at many different horses on sites to but horses and I keep seeing Roman noses. Is there a specific breed for that? Can you show me some pictures of Roman-nosed horses that you like the best? What about tack for them? And I'd like to know your opinion on them. I'm truly interested in what other people have to say.... I can't be the only one in love with them, right?

Reactions: Hardrockhorse

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
A girl at the barn where I am has one. He's so adorable. Very sweet-natured, a great jumper, very lively. He's a Lipizzaner, white with some freckles here and there.

Reactions: KigerQueen

·
Registered
521 Posts
Head shapes are incredibly variable I've actually seen a Syrian bred arabian with a Roman nose. There's also a difference between a convex/subconvex profile and a Roman nose. If I can find pictures I will. A lot of standardbreds I've seen have Roman noses.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I heard Mustangs tend to have them because of Spanish influence.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
They seem common in Standardbreds as well as draft breeds and their crosses, as well as Warmbloods, around here. They appear occasionally in Thoroughbreds although most would consider it a fault in that breed.

I'm sure many other breeds have it, but those are the ones I've observed.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Anndankev, go to bing and type in "images of roman nosed horses". It brings a whole page of pictures up from the severe to not so bad.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
My TB gelding is Roman nosed, although he has a teeny head and ears. Pics of him are in my barn/avatar. I think he looks quite noble. His sire, Graeme Hall, has the same head as him.

I've never heard of Roman noses being a fault in TBs, although they're not super common.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Tiny there are breeds of roman nosed horses, European and maybe Argentinian. Very distinct roman nose. A horse with a slightly less than straight faced isn't considered having a roman nose.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
i always thought of Ahab as having a Roman nose, but after viewing some images, I think he is just "less than straight". I read somewhere that Percherons have some Arabian blood in them way back, making them a bit more active and refined than most other draft breeds. Can't say I have ever thought of Ahab as being "refined"..

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Pony

Horse Halter Bridle Mammal Horse tack

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I used to see Roman noses on European WB's that advertised in "Practical Horseman", during the later 80's, early 90's. Now, not so much. I think that they have bred that out to respond to the market. I wish that they had not. Consider that the horse ONLY breathes through his nose. A larger nasal cavity makes it easier to breathe.
oh, well...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.