The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you please assess Romeo's conformation for me??!!

Name: Romeo
Breed: Quarter horse (Probably some arab in there somewhere)
Training: Games, and trails
Gender Gelding
**I would like to know about his conformation (I know like nothing about confo!) and What you think he should be able to do..

^^He would NOT square up for anything (So I don't know if this is useful at all)

^^Neck shot??

I am trying to load some movement videos but that is slowly coming along...

Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Needs some neck muscle. His backside is quite sloped, looks like a TB's bum that I used to ride. Other than that good looking horse.

·
Registered
601 Posts
IMO he is heavy on the forehand. His rear is weak. I like his short back and short muscled legs. He looks like a sturdy mount, one you will have a lot of fun with.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^Thank you!
How can I make him not so heavy??

I am working on the booty muscles!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Hes a cutie!
His butt end almost looks to me like he needs some weight on the topline, however his front end is fine. I know with my QH mare her front end stays fine when her back end starts to loose a little weight, a really good grain and beet pulp would help keep the weight up over his butt and some muscling. His rear end is weaker than his front. The only "flaw" really standing out to me is his neck/throat latch area is a bit thick. All in all hes a very nice looking boy and I second the "nice sturdy mount" you can have a lot of fun with.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I agree with everyone, but he has a huge cresty neck and is overweight. With the looks of his neck I'd be worried of insulin resistance.
He definitely needs muscles all over him, especially on his topline and hindquarters.

Leg wise they look good and sturdy.

I'd say he'd be good at anything once he gets more muscle and looses some weight :) He's sure a cutie!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NewImage: Thank you. Will the beat pulp make him fat again, or will it just get weight over his rump area, because we have been working on the weight/muscling (He was like 300 pounds overweight when we bought him) And I don't want that to happen again...
Leaveittomya: Thank you! I love his eyeliner too! He is normally a pretty clean horse, so I don't normally have to worry about keeping him white! lol (Thank goodness!)

Savvy: I didn't think he was over weight anymore... He has lost almost 300 pounds.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
True you cannot guarantee where the weight will end up and like I said its hard to see from pictures exactly whats going on. If he was over weight when you got him then what I'm seeing is some weight that came off his topline, mainly over his rear, in the process of him losing weight. Safechoice would probably be a good option and a little beet pulp. Just watch closely where its going and perhaps when you ride find hills to play on to tone him a bit. His neck is cresty but as are a lot of geldings - just watch that that part doesn't gain more weight when you play with his feed.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^Ok thank you! I have a bunch of hills (That we have actually been trying to ride on more!) I am going to work with him on trotting/hillwork tomorrow when I ride...

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
we call what he has around his eyes "GuyLiner". lol. at least I do, sometimes! anyway, he is a cute boy, and is very clean looking!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.