The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have loved the look of them on horses for the longest time, but never really needed to go out and buy one. So, I was looking online a few days ago, and found some good videos of how to make them step by step on youtube. So while I was at TSC today, I just happened to find myself in the rope/string isle. And I bought some rope..... and went for it.

Took me about a half hour to make, because I got confused on a few parts. but it turned out awesome, and now I am going to make matching gaming reins for this halter once I get some leather to tie the clips onto.

Let me know what you think!!:D:D:D

I will post pictures of it on Candy Cane as soon as I get out to the barn next to try it on her!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
WOW , that is great and only a half hour to make? I watch a trainer at a horse expo tie the rope halters and it took him maybe 5 mins and he was explaining it the whole time. I was like ....wait.. how do you do that?
Great job , love the purple too

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Nice! I love making halters! It's like sewing something and then wearing it only more instantly gratifying. And it's a good skill to have since sometimes you need a halter in a pinch... Making halters is so much fun. Heehee

I love the purple! I wish my farm store had pretty colors like that! =D

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Wow! Great job!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!!! =)

WOW , that is great and only a half hour to make? I watch a trainer at a horse expo tie the rope halters and it took him maybe 5 mins and he was explaining it the whole time. I was like ....wait.. how do you do that?
Great job , love the purple too

Yeah, I have seen people make them before and it took them just a few minutes. And like you said, they were explaining everything and I was like....HUH!?!?!

looks great1 i love it! haha i might have to try that........ :)
Thank you! Its a lot of fun making them actually! :D You should give it a try!!

Nice! I love making halters! It's like sewing something and then wearing it only more instantly gratifying. And it's a good skill to have since sometimes you need a halter in a pinch... Making halters is so much fun. Heehee

I love the purple! I wish my farm store had pretty colors like that! =D

Thanks!! There were only a few different colors at TSC. A red and black, red white and blue, and then the purple. I think I will be going back and getting some more colors though. :D

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
wow! that looks fantastic :) i love rope halters. i think i might have to give this a go myself :)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'd love to see the video if you still have the link!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Me too. Hoover has a head in between a horse and a pony, so his rope halter is really loose.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are the videos....

Step one..

Step two..

Step three..

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I can't tell, did you tie a fiador knot at the lead loop or just a simple overhand knot? If you tied a fiador, you are doing better than me, that is the one knot that I can't seem to figure out, regardless of what kind of instruction I have :?. I can tie the ones that go over the end of your bosal to make a throatlatch, but the halter confuses the crap out of me.

Good job getting the double overhand knots to look so good, those silly things can be a bit tricky. :D

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, thanks!!

Yes, I did tie the fiador knot. It wasnt hard at all with the instruction from that first video. And the over hand knots were a breeze once I figured out how to make the first one.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Much better than my first attempt. I may give it another go after watching video. Thanks for posting it.

I used his video on tying a buckaroo knot on a wild rag too. He's good at explaining

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New halter on Candy.. fits her perfect and looks SO cute!!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anyone else like it? =)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I will have to try this as soon as I can find some nice rope. Thank you for posting
Does he mention how wide the rope should be? Didnt hear it... How wide was your rope?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.