The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I’m a beginner/intermediate breakaway roper that’s really just barely past getting started, I’ve gone through a few ropes, my most recent being a cactus tsunami. I LOVE the softness of it and how snappy it is but it got noodly and tried to figure 8 pretty quickly. The Honda doesn’t lay flat anymore. I’ve heard that others have had the same problems with them.

Anyways, someone told me to try a Rattler Spitfire but I’ve been told they’re pretty stiff, almost like a head rope and that’s definitely not for me! Someone else recommended a Rattler Viper, but haven’t heard much about them.

Anybody have recommendations for a very very soft but forgiving breakaway rope?

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Poly ropes are temperamental to weather and use.
I can't give you recommendations on brands because that's as individual as underwear preference in my opinion! Lol!

I don't use the same rope I practice on the dummy with. Roping the dummy is good practice of course but it will twist your hondas. Also how are you storing your breakaway ropes, do you have a can?
And like I said weather will change how your ropes feel, the cold will make them feel like over cooked spaghetti noodles.
I found sometimes leaving my noodle poly ropes alone for awhile(months even!) or lay them coiled in the sun for a couple days will bring a little life back.

Reactions: boots

·
Super Moderator
9,648 Posts
I like an xx-soft for most roping. Friends don't. My current favorite is a 60', but that's for pasture roping.

Try a bunch, or buy a bunch. You'll find a favorite, too.

I live near King's Saddlery so get my ropes from them. If I didn't, I'd still try them out at the store.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I agree, I love King's ropes.
I have never bought their poly ropes but I order my nylons from them. They are my go-to!
I would try their polys and see how you like them.

·
Super Moderator
9,648 Posts
I've got a poly that I call my rag rope.

It's old. Fuzzy. 35'. And heavy enough for windy days when I've got to get closer anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts