Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what y'all thought about "rope whips" and "trainer's stick" for training you're own horse(moving hind-quarters, fore-quarters, lunging ect...), what are the pros and cons to each one? Which are you're favorite to work with?

Line
Line

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Pardon me for having to ask, but what's the difference? They both just look like normal whips to me...

I have a lunge whip, a dressage whip, and a crop. Between the three of these I have any situation that I'll run into covered.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
There is quite a difference in heft and wrist drag, more so than a lunge whip. I cut down an old lunge whip, added a leather tab and it was so much easier on the wrist. Then I tried the dressage whip and found I can control it to deliver the lightest touch. After that it was a very thin willow and it delivers an even lighter touch, almost like a fly. That is now my go to stick.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pardon me for having to ask, but what's the difference? They both just look like normal whips to me...

I have a lunge whip, a dressage whip, and a crop. Between the three of these I have any situation that I'll run into covered.

I have heard some people say that they like the Training Stick better then the Rope whip and vise-versa. I was wondering what the pros and cons to each one were(if there are any), I was in the process of buying a whip to train with my horse using it, and naturally I want to get the most out of my money, they are not cheap for me, but at the same time I want to make sure it is the right one for my specific purposes.

Thanks DuckDodgers,
~Ivy~

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is quite a difference in heft and wrist drag, more so than a lunge whip. I cut down an old lunge whip, added a leather tab and it was so much easier on the wrist. Then I tried the dressage whip and found I can control it to deliver the lightest touch. After that it was a very thin willow and it delivers an even lighter touch, almost like a fly. That is now my go to stick.

Thanks Saddlebag! :)

~Ivy~

·
Registered
749 Posts
I use a training stick for most of my initial training, I get in a lot of very pushy horses and at times I need a bit of oomph. After the horse is reasonably respectful I switch to a lunge whip for things at a distance and a dressage whip for under saddle work. I try not to stay with a training stick for long, those suckers can get heavy after a while.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a training stick for most of my initial training, I get in a lot of very pushy horses and at times I need a bit of oomph. After the horse is reasonably respectful I switch to a lunge whip for things at a distance and a dressage whip for under saddle work. I try not to stay with a training stick for long, those suckers can get heavy after a while.
That is probably what I need for Wildfire(the training stick). That lunging whip is not the best for close up training with him.=)

Thanks for the advice!

~Ivy~

·
Registered
49,724 Posts
I really dislike the training sticks. they are heavy and slow and you cannot send much energy down them as you can a dressage whip. I heard that the reason they are used in some NH programs is that they ARE slower, and for beginners, they want you to act slower so you don't cause your horse to be fearful. I am very comfortable with either a dressage or lunge whip, so I would prefer that.

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
I prefer to use a lunge whip for anything that's going to maybe need a longer reach and a schooling whip for when I'm doing anything 'up close'

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ok, took me a few to understand what you meant by a "rope whip", but now I get it :lol: I've always heard them called lunge whip or buggy whip.

I have used both and do not like the training sticks. I use the lunge whip. They make any different lengths, so if you want a little shorter whip, just buy one of those.

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
I have a lunge whip, a crop, a dressage whip, and a training stick. My training stick is "homemade" from a graphite golf club shaft with a leather tab on the end and a piece of yacht string with a leather popper on the end. It cost me less than 1/3 what a name brand training stick would have cost, even used.

Anyway, I prefer different tools for different jobs. If I'm teaching to lunge, or lunging a stubborn horse, I use a lunge whip. If I'm dealing with a horse that doesn't respect space, I use the dressage whip because it is more precise. If I'm working on yielding, I use the training stick because it is more solid and I can give a push with it to let the horse know where I want it to go and what I'm asking.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, took me a few to understand what you meant by a "rope whip", but now I get it :lol: I've always heard them called lunge whip or buggy whip.

I have used both and do not like the training sticks. I use the lunge whip. They make any different lengths, so if you want a little shorter whip, just buy one of those.
Yeah sorry bout' that! Lol! I'm kind of a newbie to horses and such, but I'm learning more every day on here! Thanks for the advice, I want to see how the training stick will work for me, I saw Clinton Anderson using it for some of his techniques and thought it would be helpful, but we will see. =)
~Ivy~

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a lunge whip, a crop, a dressage whip, and a training stick. My training stick is "homemade" from a graphite golf club shaft with a leather tab on the end and a piece of yacht string with a leather popper on the end. It cost me less than 1/3 what a name brand training stick would have cost, even used.

Anyway, I prefer different tools for different jobs. If I'm teaching to lunge, or lunging a stubborn horse, I use a lunge whip. If I'm dealing with a horse that doesn't respect space, I use the dressage whip because it is more precise. If I'm working on yielding, I use the training stick because it is more solid and I can give a push with it to let the horse know where I want it to go and what I'm asking.
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess it would be good to have a combo of the deferent whips? I hadn't thought of that before.......

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
I guess it would be good to have a combo of the deferent whips? I hadn't thought of that before.......
Just like a carpenter or contractor, you can't have too many tools in your "arsenal" as a horse person. I have one horse and two saddles (will be three as soon as I can afford a western saddle), one bridle (will be at least two, possibly more, once I can afford it), four bits (so far), and a trunk full of saddle pads, wraps/boots, and reins. All have different purposes and uses.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
749 Posts
That is probably what I need for Wildfire(the training stick). That lunging whip is not the best for close up training with him.=)

Thanks for the advice!

~Ivy~
No, they are not. They're too bendy when you need to give a correction up close.

As you stated later on in the thread, it is nice to have multiple tools. I've got a dressage whip, training stick and lunge whip.

Though quite honestly, I pretty much only bring out the lunge whip for desensitizing. After a couple days with the training stick you shouldn't need a whip anymore, the horse should move off of your body language and voice.

However, my dressage whip is wonderful for under saddle work.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thx all!

~Ivy~

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I like the sticks, they give you a much better feel bc they are sturdier.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK thanks, its nice to hear the different opinions from other people who have had experience ect, so thx! =)

~Ivy~

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
When I started out there was pretty much only a lunge whip as your training tool and I worked with one for probably close to 30 years before I got a "training" stick. At first I HATED the training stick because of its weight and drag on my wrist. I found it really awkward and just..heavy and couldn't use it ambidextrously at all. I kept at it because a friend of mine really liked hers and found it indispensable. Now, I LOVE it and don't find other tools to be nearly as effective when working with a horse who has absolutely no concept of personal space, respect or is just overly pushy.

I haven't touched a lunge whip in several years because when I'm done with the training stick, they move off body language and at most, pointing the way I want them to go and a look. I still will use a dressage whip or crop for reinforcing cues, when necessary, but I also find if I've spent enough time on the ground, I rarely need them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.