The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Food Fruit Ingredient Natural foods

I purchased this bag of Rose Hip as a supplement for my 22 year old mare. Before I start her on it, is there anything I should know or anyway it could harm her or have side effects? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Horses have been known to seek out and munch on rose hips if they’re available to them… not sure why because they’re very bitter!
But they’re full of vitamin C and I’ve never heard of them having any detrimental effect on horses. I’d just follow the recommendations on the package.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I purchased this bag of Rose Hip as a supplement for my 22 year old mare. Before I start her on it, is there anything I should know or anyway it could harm her or have side effects? Thank you in advance!
The primary danger of rosehips is an overdose of Vitamin C and the relatively high sugar content. Healthy horses make their own Vitamin C in their livers, unlike humans who have to get it from food sources, so supplementing is usually unnecessary. An overdose, much as in humans, increases flatulence and can cause diarrhea. Diarrhea in horses can be a serious problem, as the hindgut is where most nutrients are extracted from the horse's feed, so having the GI system push stuff through more quickly reduces nutrient absorption leading to various deficiencies in a downward spiral.

The high sugar content can be problematic for senior horses like yours, as they can more easily become insulin-resistant (aka Equine Metabolic Syndrome or EMS) which leads to a host of secondary issues including laminitis and colic. I'm helping my horse Mysti recover from laminitis in both front hooves, and I have to say that particular part of the horse experience is a "1/10, do not recommend"; the hooves take a year or more to return to something approaching normal and some effects are permanent.

You're not going to kill your horse by feeding her a fresh rosehip as a treat, but I honestly wouldn't use them as a dietary supplement on a senior horse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts