The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my western saddle cleaned and they reroughed the fenders and seat when I didn't ask them to. It was once rough there but there's been years of glorious wear that made it smooth and are now gone. I'm devastated.

I've contacted them and they feel terrible and have offered to oil down the leather to smooth it out again. Is this something that will work or will it just saturate and darken the leather? I don't want to bring it back if it'll just be messed up again.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I don't think it will take as long as you think it will to smooth down again. I sold a saddle that was like-new, rough out, and I couldn't believe when I saw it again, after about 6 months of riding, it was worn down really smooth by the guy that bought it.

It's up to you weather you want it re-oiled. But I would probably just use it and let it go back to smooth naturally. Unless you think it could use the oil.

I know one thing for sure that will smooth it back out........but maybe too much. The paste saddle soap that comes in a tin. But that could possibly overdue it. But when I was a kid, I got a used rough-out saddle, promptly saddle soaped it and make it a smooth-out. It looked and rode fine. But it wasn't a rough-out anymore!

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Fiebings_Leather_Saddle_Soap_12_oz/descpage-FSS12.html

·
Super Moderator
26,876 Posts
It looks better dirty! You are making me nervous because I dropped my saddle off almost three weeks ago to have the Latigos and keepers replaced, a new breast plate made and cleaning. I hope they don't do that to mine too. I'd be angry. I guess you could let them fix it....I don't think they can screw it up worse.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
This is honestly just a curiosity question, as I've never owned a rough-out - but what's the point of having rough-out on a saddle, if you don't want it roughed-out in the end? I've ridden in them before, and I always liked the 'stickiness' that rough-out brings to the party when a horse gets a little too rowdy.

Reactions: ACinATX

·
Registered
159 Posts
You could use a small amount of gum tragacanth or beeswax and burnish it with a hardwood dowel. That's how leatherworkers "slick" the edges of straps, belts, etc.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
This is honestly just a curiosity question, as I've never owned a rough-out - but what's the point of having rough-out on a saddle, if you don't want it roughed-out in the end? I've ridden in them before, and I always liked the 'stickiness' that rough-out brings to the party when a horse gets a little too rowdy.
For my work saddle I chose a roughout just for the simple fact it is so easy to take care of. Cleaning is easy and they don't mark as bad as a smooth out or tooled saddle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts