The Horse Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,789 Posts
OK...here comes my thoughts...

The ring that QtrBel shows is the ring for horses...
The pictures below...
If your horses are using something like the first picture, indeed with a closed top rail they will rub their mane out... That is a ring most commonly used for cattle.
The 2nd & 3rd pictures are horse feeder styles.
I prefer a combination of those 2nd & 3rd style with a solid bottom section so no hoof slips through the ring slot and gets trapped.
I have seen people make their own variations of the horse feeder by using some panels or thicker goat style fencing and zip tie it to the inside bottom. It stops a lot of the escape/loss out the sides and reduces that hoof inside the ring danger.
Chair Rectangle Font Circle Glass
Horse Sky Plant Working animal Wood
Grass Symmetry Circle Art Pattern

Honestly, I can not imagine wrestling with a 1000 pound round roll trying to put that net on without a tractor to suspend the roll for easiest access and ....you need to either tuck it completely under or seal the opening or they will pull it off.
If your horses are eating that much hay, then they need that much hay or you will be feeding feed to offset the loss of nutrients limiting their hay has done.
With that said though....due diligence daily of raking up and cleaning around the roll to remove poop, salvage hay loose to feed it is what we do when the horses are not on pasture. We also do not lay our roll flat but it is in a homemade cradle made from scrap wood to keep it steady and it is rare they flip the roll out and flat to the ground.
Our horses do not eat 24/7 from the round roll either, they truly do not need to gorge constantly, but they do need the opportunity to eat enough..
Our horses have access to their hay from around 7AM till 8PM, then what is raked up is forked to them to eat during the night hours...mine mostly rest and sleep by evidence of the soft spots from them laying down we see in the morning.
Our roll is off the back of our barn, then large gates block their access fencing it off so they not destroy or make a mess...
With our horses when they are "hungry" they eat, not make a mess pawing, defecating and urinating on it since their face is at the roll their rest of their body is further away..:unsure:
When they have to much access is when waste and ruining of the hay is done is our experience. We don't have the hay with a roof over it so ours is tarped nightly and if the weather outlook is very threatening, they eat baled hay and I can promise you they do not eat unlimited amounts of square bales.
Horses need a specific amount of hay...
However, it is interesting to watch what we think they need and what they know they need because once that amount of need is met, they often leave or just move off and hang-out dozing...then go back an hour or so later to eat maybe another 1/2 hour...rinse & repeat.
When our horses are first put to our round roll in the morning they eat differently, cause its breakfast...but...but those who think giving constant access to forage also complain of much waste...and it doesn't need to be that way.
You need to learn your horses and their eating and feeding pattern.

But a ring to use, the right style of ring used, I can't imagine that is not going to be easier to grab a bar and tip it, roll and move it to cover your bale than needing to roll a 1000+ pound roll around trying to yank and pull a net on that is going to fight you most of the way.
Without a tractor to suspend that bale, sorry but is no way you are going to convince me netting is easier than a ring...
There are also nets that go on a round roll ring, covering it and securing not sure how, but they secure... Your hay is protected from destruction and waste but the roll is not netted, the ring is netted and secured to..
I wish I could remember who it was that made them, discovered them by chance in a internet search...but can't remember the site.
This is the idea of what I found a picture of that one time...
Sky Snow Wood Freezing Working animal

As you can see, the net goes over the form and secures...you can do the same idea with a hay ring and securing the net over the entire bale and ring...tighten as is needed when the horses have eaten and it is sagging loose.
Automotive tire Plant Composite material Tire Rectangle

You can make your own using soft flexible pipe/tubing like used for irrigation lines....thread the pipe through the edges of the net, suspend it over the entire ring, secure it with straps that can ratchet to maintain a snugger fit...
As for what kind or brand of net...no idea.
What our net is secured closed with at baling is what we use/leave on ours and let ours eat their fill, fast or slow but eat as they need to do...
In my mind, those who comment about you shouldn't leave the baling netting on but then place hay in slow feed nets makes me :rolleyes:... its netting, period.
I'm not seeing the difference except one you struggle to encase the entire roll in, the other is used by a machine to keep it securely held together...which reduces waste for quite a while. ;) Right?.... right.

My last thought is...
I don't want my horses faces immersed in a round roll by laying it flat, which is why we keep ours on edge. {sits on the netting it was wrapped with and how you see them in the fields just made} My horses don't have issues of allergies/COPD from breathing spores as is known to happen feeding from rounds... Grab a mouthful their face, their nose and muzzle come up and out of the hay, then go back to grab the next mouthful...they rarely leave their face deep in the hay roll eating...they don't like to kink their necks when they swallow, hence floor feeding pans, grass grows where and how do they position their bodies to eat is what we try to mimic.
Enjoy the journey of finding what works for you.;)

🐴... jmo...

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts