The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I board my horse at a 48 horse facility. Our outdoor arena is closed for the winter. Our barn owner has placed a round pen inside the indoor arena which compromises the jumpers, barrel riders and those wishing to lunge their horses etc. Have any of you seen this or have any opinions and or suggestions?

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
I can't really tell if you have a problem with this and are asking for ways to fix it or something else. But I have seen this done before in an outdoor arena, and it works really well for them. They use the arena for riding, and the round pen for lunging and desensetizeing sessions.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
As far as the roundpen being in the way I think it depends on the size of the indoor, size of the roundpen and where in the indoor it is set up.
We do the same in winter/spring to halter break and start colts.

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
Our barn owner has placed a round pen inside the indoor arena which compromises the jumpers, barrel riders and those wishing to lunge their horses etc. Have any of you seen this or have any opinions and or suggestions?
I think the underlined above says it all...
The "Barn Owner" did this and she owns the place...:unsure:

Not sure why those wishing to lunge their horse is should bother as now they have a pen sitting inside to use...
The rest, well...depending upon size of your arena it might make a difference, or not.
It will teach you how to rate and control, steer your mount as you ride them...
It will also allow you to break down your elements and work specific parts of any riding discipline, strengthening it so when all is added together the small sections worked on successfully now display as a completed task done to perfection.
It is how you look at it...
If it truly bothers you, speak to the barn owner and or prepare to find a new barn...
😐
🐴...

·
Super Moderator
10,039 Posts
We have a permanent round pen in our indoor arena. Where I lease pasture. We can still exercise and work on components of disciplines like reining, cutting, polo, and jumpers in there.

There are other places that keep arenas open for other schooling in those disciplines. And when the owners of those facilities need a round pen they haul to ours.

·
Registered
49,421 Posts
I think the OP may have meant that round penning a squirrely horse may compromise the safety of those riding in teh arena. I guess those using the round pen might have to respect the needs of the mounted. I dunno.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Maybe. Although, IMO, it's great for horses to have to get used to that sort of stuff. As long as you can work them through any problems they might have around it, you will be better off for having gone through it.

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter
1 - 7 of 7 Posts