The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My filly, Melody, has started to rub her neck on the trees in her pasture and rubbing the hair off around the base and now the underside as well. She's naturally been an itchy baby who loves scratches, but in the last little while, it seems to have gotten progressively worse and quickly. I've never dealt with something like this before and would love any tips and advice about what to do.

Extra info in case it matters:
Currently is 8 months old, almost 9 months. Quarter horse.
She was dewormed at the start of winter. No lice or other critters on her. She also loves having the top of her neck around her mane, withers, and butt scratched too, but is only rubbing the hair off at the base of her neck. She doesn't do it to the point of breaking the skin, just rubbing the hair off.
She is in with an older gelding and he's had 0 issues.

I thought about washing her but can't due to it being winter and have no way to dry her off properly, not to mention it'd be an ice cold bath for her. And I know there are liquids that are supposed to help, but again, it's cold and that liquid will freeze when on her and I don't want that.
There is another pen that has no trees and no way for her to scratch her hair off that I could move her to, but that could only be temporary and she'd be on her own in it.
I was also wondering if maybe a bit of overheating could be the cause? She's got a really thick winter coat, but our winter has been pretty mild compared to normal so far (last year it dropped -50C and this year, the coldest it's gotten so far is -13C). Although if we are going to get a cold spell, it'll be this month or February.

Pics to show the progression:

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I don't know, but I wanted to bump this up so maybe someone else would see it and respond. That's a big chunk of fur she's missing...

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
That could be anything from mites to lice, to vitamin/mineral deficiency.

In these pictures, the coat in general looks poor.

Nobody wants to hear this because it invloves money but——— I would call a vet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts