The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Recently I've noticed some ruffling hair towards the back of my saddle after rides. My horse doesn't seem sore at all and I've run my fingers down her spine with no issue or balking. She also doesn't get grumpy at all under saddle or seem like she hurts. There are no bald spots or rubs and I don't see the emergence of white hairs.
I use a Thinline Trifecta cotton half pad, and was considering getting some shims for it if those may fix the issue. She isn't super filled out and doesn't have much muscle in her top line. I know the ruffles are due to friction/movement, and I know my girth is tight enough and not loose before riding and I will re check it when necessary during my rides. I don't notice any movement or instability in my saddle, and there is good spine and wither clearance. My horse is a bit downhill at the trot, but both the walk and canter seem normal without a total downhill feel if that makes sense. Is anyone familiar with this issue and could it be that I may need to add a little extra to fill some space? Unfortunately where I live the closest saddle fitter is 5-6 hours away so I have to do a lot of my own research!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Some hair ruffling is significant, some isn't. It's impossible to tell without some idea of how the saddle fits and the horse's general shape, so pictures would help, but even then, what can be a very small sign of (usually) some saddle movement can be hard to interpret.

I'll give you an example. My new warmblood has occasionally had raised hairs at the rear of his saddle position, generally a short (2-3" section along the spine, where there is, in theory, no saddle pressure at all. Because of his high wither/low croup conformation he's fitted with a Korrector (adjustable airbag saddle pad) to get the front-rear saddle balance correct.

So why the ruffled hairs? The nature of a Korrector means the saddle moves on his back, so is the saddle pad dropping down in the channel to sit on his spine? Is the back of the saddle 'wagging' across his back to ruffle the hair that way? Or is he simply getting hot enough (air is a good insulator) for the increase in temperature in the saddle channel to raise the hair? Frankly, I've no idea at the moment, though since he moves well under saddle I don't believe it's anything major.

Frustrating, though :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts