The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I havent had my horse for to long, close to 6 months now, and every change in him makes me worry. We had +20 degree weather for about a week where everything was really dusty, and then we had a horrible winter storm with 90 mile an hour winds and snow for a day. The next 2 days were -4, raining and horrible winds, he never goes into his barn during bad weather. Now its back up to +20 and really dry again. He has had a runny nose for about 2 days now, it is clear and not mucusy. I have not checked his temp as i dont have a thermometer but will be getting one. His appetite is normal, his energy leavel is the same, and his stools are normal as well. So I guess I need to know if i should be worried about this or could it be allergies of a minor cold due to really odd weather.
thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
It sounds to me like it's just because of the funky weather--it sure messes with horses and they're delicate systems! So I wouldn't worry too much, but yes--keep an eye on the runny nose & other symptoms that could indicate a problem. --for example, the things you were mentioning, as well as a change in the consistancy of the runny nosiness ie green, gloopy, stenchy, etc.
When in doubt, call the vet--even if it's not for a visit, but just for a question on the phone that they will generally answer gladly.
Good luck!
~The Golden Filly!~

·
Registered
992 Posts
Clear runniness is normal, and not an indication of anything. Sometimes they just happen or if it is really dry the nose will run to clear the dust out. If it turns milky, yellow or green, then you have a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.