The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any comments on what saddle colors look best on various horse colors?

I'm looking at a Paint horse that's predominately chestnut

·
Registered
204 Posts
Black! Everything goes with black, that the color of my saddle.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It depends on what you are planning on doing, if you plan on competing in any western pleasure/trail class events its sad to say but judges really look at what the "IT" color is, and right now its the light saddle colors, i mean really light. The ultra light oils, light oils etc.

If its just going to be a trail or even gaming saddle it doesnt matter what color it is at all, as long as you like it. I ride a chesnut/white overo and and sorrel/ white overo and these are the saddle i ride in

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL! I gotta say, I love black too, but I've seen some photos and thought, "does that horse ever look color co-ordinated!" LOL

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That light saddle is splashy, but can it really stay that clean for long?
I'm not going to be showing or anything, but it's nice to know what others are using.

·
Registered
719 Posts
if your not showing i would not recommend getting that light of an oil saddle, most people with that light of a saddle have an everyday saddle and then that light oil saddle just for showing. I love my saddles tho (pic's above)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes they are gorgeous!

if your not showing i would not recommend getting that light of an oil saddle, most people with that light of a saddle have an everyday saddle and then that light oil saddle just for showing. I love my saddles tho (pic's above)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I love a good havana (dark brown) or medium oil (lighter) saddle.

This is my favorite, it seems to go with any version of chestnut.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think black is great. It matches everthing and doesn't get as dirty as brown or tan. (I trail ride through water, mud, and who-knows-what all the time and it always looks great!)

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I find it a little difficult to find a good black western saddle that is not synthetic and won't cost an arm and a leg. I prefer a good medium oil( kinda a light carmelly color). It works on any color horse. It is darker than a light colored horse and lighter than a dark colored horse. Plus it is easier to find leather that coordinated more easily with it.

The one I used to ride was a hair lighter and less orange(more sandy colored) than this one...

Roper2.jpg

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think it looks so flashy when the tack is a similar colour to the horse. For a mainly chestnut horse I think a nice chestnut coloured leather would look great, english or western.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.