The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have an arabian, i just got a medium wide english saddle. its not adjustable, but i can fit like 3 fingers where the gullet is, but even then its kinda tight, ive got a shim pad, so how should i get it to lift up more so its not so tight on his withers, cause it fits every where else, but its just kinda tight by his withers, should i try just putting shims in the front?

·
Super Moderator
22,806 Posts
Can't tell you anything specific from the info you have provided. First 'medium-wide' doesn't mean anything objective as everyone measures differently. Next, don't know if your horse is 'medium-wide' in this particular brand. Next it could be the placement or such of the saddle that's a problem, or your horse is wide but with high withers or such. And the width of the gullet is but one measurement to consider when deciding whether a saddle is a good fit or not. Even if it is, a good fit otherwise but a bit wide in the gullet, using a 'front riser' to make it narrower/sit up more in front could totally imbalance the saddle, could cause it to bridge or otherwise have pressure points.

So... pics of the saddle on the horse, without a pad, without being girthed, from a variety of angles would be helpful for us to give you some specific opinions, but there are factors of saddle fit that you need hands on for - such as assessing bridging & pressure points - that we can't tell you from pics & a bit of info.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
If you can post pics it would be helpful. Questions about tightness around the withers suggests the saddle may be placed too far forward. The tree points should sit behind the edge of the shoulder blade, which comes back more when the leg is lifted. You can lift the leg and feel how the shoulder comes back.

If you move the saddle back to that point and it does not sit down around the barrel, you need a wider and possibly much wider saddle.

A breed trait of Arabs is "well sprung" ribs. My tiny Arab wore an XW tree.

·
Registered
14,148 Posts
We need pics, saddle brand and gullet measurements. Pics of the saddle sitting on the horse, how you would put it to ride, but no saddle pad, taken from front, both sides and rear would really help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't tell you anything specific from the info you have provided. First 'medium-wide' doesn't mean anything objective as everyone measures differently. Next, don't know if your horse is 'medium-wide' in this particular brand. Next it could be the placement or such of the saddle that's a problem, or your horse is wide but with high withers or such. And the width of the gullet is but one measurement to consider when deciding whether a saddle is a good fit or not. Even if it is, a good fit otherwise but a bit wide in the gullet, using a 'front riser' to make it narrower/sit up more in front could totally imbalance the saddle, could cause it to bridge or otherwise have pressure points.

So... pics of the saddle on the horse, without a pad, without being girthed, from a variety of angles would be helpful for us to give you some specific opinions, but there are factors of saddle fit that you need hands on for - such as assessing bridging & pressure points - that we can't tell you from pics & a bit of info.
the saddle fits him perfectly aside from the withers, and theres no bridging, and i havent felt any pressure points, everything fits great aside from just his withers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can post pics it would be helpful. Questions about tightness around the withers suggests the saddle may be placed too far forward. The tree points should sit behind the edge of the shoulder blade, which comes back more when the leg is lifted. You can lift the leg and feel how the shoulder comes back.

If you move the saddle back to that point and it does not sit down around the barrel, you need a wider and possibly much wider saddle.

A breed trait of Arabs is "well sprung" ribs. My tiny Arab wore an XW tree.
XW is worse, it pinches everywhere, and is really bad, sitting the MW on him, it fits amazing all but the withers, and i could try moving it further back, but it doesnt bridge, and its fits perfect every where but the withers, and a medium doesnt fit, and pinches every where, so all i can do is a MW

·
Super Moderator
22,806 Posts
the saddle fits him perfectly aside from the withers, and theres no bridging, and i havent felt any pressure points, everything fits great aside from just his withers
So assuming it's in the right place, does fit perfectly, aside from his wither being too high, if you use a front riser, you're likely to cause it to be too narrow in front, and to bridge. Sounds like you need a saddle with a cut back gullet made for extra big withers.

XW is worse, it pinches everywhere,
I'm not getting how you think a too wide saddle would be pinching - pinching means it's too narrow.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I wonder what criteria you are using to check fit. There are good saddle fitting blogs online.
Schleese has some good saddle fitting videos on youtube as well.

It took me a lot of reading and watching videos to learn about saddle fit, and I'd still like to learn more.

If you think it fits well, post some pictures on here and others may agree or else have suggestions and explanations for how exactly it does not fit.

Arabs can be tricky to fit, even for people who are very knowledgeable about saddle fitting. Saddles are even made with special trees for Arabs.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
We need a Wide on our Arabian, but of course that doesn't mean it's the same for yours. However, some people assume Arabians aren't wide horses, which is not true. They have very sprung ribs.

If the saddle really does fit well everywhere else, but not at the withers, you need a different saddle. Adding shims will not help, anymore than adding socks to a shoe that's too tight. You may need a saddle with cutback withers, or one with a higher pommel. We really can't give you any more advice than that without seeing the saddle on the horse. Bring in a saddle fitter if you can - they can tell you whether there's any way to adjust this saddle so it will fit (even saddles that do not have exchangeable gullets can sometimes be slightly adjusted by moving around the flocking).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts