The Horse Forum banner

Saddle fit help

1961 10
This is my second saddle I've tried for my mare and it just doesn't seem to fit, I just don't know why? I'm not terribly savy fitting a western saddle (english no problem!), so I need some help.
The saddle looks great when my mare has her head up and standing still. But then when she walks the back of the saddle flips up about 3 inches. I tried a couple different pads, but all pretty much the same thing. She naturally drops her head down low when she moves. When she trots the thing just slaps up and down on her back, so she'd just stops trotting.
*I did set the saddle back about an inch or 2 after I took the first couple standing pics, I just wasn't thinking and forgot to retake them. The last pic she is walking up a hill, but it shows pretty well how much the saddle comes up.

And please excuse her hair, she is shedding faster than her hair is growing back. I had a my vet check her yesterday to be sure thats all it was

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not ride in the saddle because it obviously does not fit her, just pushing down on the back of the saddle while standing on the ground was enough to make her uncomfortable. I was just posting to ask why it might not fit so I can find a better fit for her. I think its just that the tree is too narrow for her? Or too much rock in the tree for her?
I did have a flank cinch on it at first- found out quick she does not like them. She bucked like a bronc, it took 4 times around the round pen before I could get her stopped and fix the saddle what was now up on her shoulders. Flank cinchs are not meant to hold a poorly fitting saddle down anyways, they are preventing the saddle flipping up excessively for hard stops, roping, etc.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
garlicbunny- yes you are right the saddle is NOT off her back in any of the standing pics. The problem was when she moved forward, she naturally drops her head down and the saddle comes up. I tried it in several positions on her back, even ridiculously far back and it came up each time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.