The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two fairly wide, very short backed mares that I've posted on here for fit opinions before. The search continues.

We have had them evaluated by saddle fitters and continue to be directed towards REALLY wide saddles. I'm in search of a XXW Hoop tree dressage saddle with a fairly small seat at their recommendation. In the mean time, I figured a Western would be easier to get ahold of and bought a 13.5" 8.5" gullet FQHB Martin, but I think that it is to wide! (Which makes me question needing to look for such a wide dressage saddle...) The Martin lifts off in the back and when trotting or cantering makes a bit of a "thwaping" sound.

On the horses back without the pad it has some rock, but not a lot. Its possible the tree is just to curvy for the strait flat backed mares, but I think its to wide.

What are your opinions? If I went in search of another Martin, what size gullet would you go in search of based off these pictures? (This is 8.5)

I'm happy to search for another Martin, this is the first one that I've owned and I am really impressed!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
The saddle is much, much to wide...
I would guess you need to be 1/2" - " at least narrower and then it would caress the horses body naked, with a pad under it would make a nice fit.
I'm not sure if "rock" has anything to do with it at this point, this saddle is just much to wide for the horse..with and without a pad under it.
Have you considered any of the saddles that have adjustable trees to try?
Or even some of the draft tack brands as many drafts are short backed, wide and flat in build...
:runninghorse2:...
jmo..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm not finding any 7.5" gullet Martins, plenty of 7" which I fear would be to narrow and some 8" which I wonder if it will make a big enough difference or not.
The only adjustable tree saddle that I've owned was a Toulouse, but I was not a fan of it on any of my 5 horses. I haven't tried any others...

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
So, I found you some articles on saddle brands who do have "hoop" tree availability and how to determine for sure if you would benefit from a hoop over a conventional "A" frame tree.
https://www.trumbullmtn.com/2016/08/whats-all-the-hooplah-about/
https://saddlefitter.blogspot.com/2013/11/having-fit-hoop-tree-vs-standard-tree.html
https://equusmagazine.com/riding/saddles-hard-fit-horse-12920

Names of saddle manufacturers and specific models you might not know of or about I hope these give you.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yah, that saddle sits way too wide for your horse.

My friend ended up getting a Duett saddle - which I believe is a hoop tree. She really, really likes it and uses it for endurance/trail. She was a little skeptical just b/c it is more english and she always rode western, but she says she feels very secure in it.

For my uber wide horse, nothing would fit her. Her shoulders are much to wide, so I ended up going treeless for her. I'm glad I did and wish I'd done so sooner.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Agree with the others.
I am guessing the horse would only need a wide tree if it is really a hoop tree, or maybe an XW.
I really like my XW Lovatt and Ricketts Ellipse dressage saddle with the hoop tree. It's very comfortable.
You can occasionally find them used online.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Agree with gottatrot ref the width - horse looks like a Wide (English saddles) from what I can see. I can only assume it must have been excessively fat when whoever-it-was suggested XXW because currently it's nothing like. And at current width you don't really need a so-called 'hoop' tree - a standard shape ought to fit fine.

It's also hard to judge length from the pics, so can't really comment on that. Good luck finding something, though.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
I personally have not had much success with Martin and their saddle fitting philosophy. According to Martin, they would probably tell you to shim that saddle and go off and ride. I say it's too wide. The actual angle of the TREE is too wide, along with the gullet. (At least, best I can tell looking at sideways pictures! I also think you didn't quite have the saddle centered.) Anyway, so going to a narrower gullet may or may not help. Gullet is only one piece of the puzzle. Everything else has to fit too.

Honestly, have you tried a Circle Y Flex2 saddle in the WIDE? That might do the trick.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been in contact with both Trumbullmtn and Duett, sent tracings etc.

I did try a Duett 38cm which sat on her like a hat. I'm trying to find the pictures, to remember better. It was last year. Unfortunately she is one of those horses no matter the saddle they slide up onto her shoulder and want to lift up off from her back in the back end. I'm not sure how great of a saddle fit I'm going to find for her. I will grab some photos of the other mare, similar size, tomorrow in this Martin to get your thoughts.

I have pictures of a 7" FQHB Big Horn, a 7" Dakota WAY narrow and a 7.5" FQHB Billy cook. The Billy cook was close, but it was a 16" and I need to stay 14" on these two.
When she was a four year old I started her in the Big Horn but she needs something wider now. I've tried many others as well.

I'm always finding semi bar Circle Y saddles but I will look around for a Circle Y Flex2, thanks for the suggestion.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
A quick glance at all of the pictures presented show me they are to wide a fit for her..
They all are falling down, pitched downhill and or the saddle does not follow the frame of the shoulder very well...
Keep looking cause what ever it is you are looking at is not it...
:runninghorse2:....

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
You know what, I take that back. Look for a REGULAR on the Circle Y Flex2 saddle. Now that you have posted more pics, your mare looks to be a similar difficult fit like my Shotgun. Big shoulders but really not that wide. For my Shotgun, I had a heck of a time finding something that had a big enough bar angle, but yet not that big of a gullet.

All the saddles you just posted on TOO WIDE in the gullet.

Whatever the black round skit one is, the bar angle and gullet is too wide. That is why it is "dumping" forward.

The brown round skirt with rawhide horn, I feel the bar angle looks too narrow but the gullet is still too wide. Not good.

The pleasure-looking saddle (I assume that was the billy cook) doesn't look too bad, actually. I'd like to see a little more flare for the shoulder movement, but the bar angle looks reasonable as does the gullet. It just depeneds on if there is a tight spot there or not, or free movement for the shoulders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts