The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this new saddle, to see if it fits. It didn't fit the horse I got it for, but I tried it on my belgian and in my un-educated opinion, it looks pretty good. I know these are just pics and can't be said for sure without feeling it. But does what you see look good?
Right now I'm using a treeless option and love it - but it doesn't have any spinal clearance, I'm debating between using this saddle or getting him a saddle pad for my treeless one that will provide spinal clearance. I was thinking of making him a pad with memory foam on either side of his spine to make a sort of false gullet.
Opinions?

This is him without tack, he's pretty hollow through his top line causing some trouble with spinal clearance

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
that's a mere pimple on his back lol... you could put two of these on without a problem... :)

But seriously... how is it with you on it? I would want more clearance at the withers for sure.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Desert - I know it looks silly on him xD I haven't been able to get on with it, cause I haven't got a girth big enough yet! :p Is there a way to fake more wither clearance or is the saddle just not enough? I can fit 3 and a half fingers between the gullet and his withers without me on it.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
You might look into Western pads, the one's who build up along the spine with gel inserts or extra thick felt. They're also bigger than English ones and make it look like more saddle... hopefully.... they are a bit costly but well worth it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have tons of different pads donated to the rescue and I could probably find one if I knew what to look for xD I'm picturing a thick pad with the withers cut away? so there's kind of a hole for the withers? but won't that rub on his spine?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is my other saddle option but it has no spinal clearance at all - but it has no tree?

Would there be a pad that would make that work? which would be better?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
that second saddle looks like a treeless. You just need a special shimmed pad for it and it will do the trick!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the problem is the gullet is too wide for him - I got it as an 'extra wide' gullet, for my flat backed mare, but it was too narrow for her. I think because it's so wide is why it's too low on his withers. His topline is pretty hollow right now :( I'm hoping as he puts on some muscle that he'll fit into this better.

I'm looking into getting a saddle with interchangeable gullets, so hopefully by the time he changes too much I'll have that :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.