The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Later today when I go out to feed I'll post some pics of this barrel saddle which I'm not sure fits my horse. It could just be the pad I was using was slipping. I would usually ride with one of those built up pads (it's kind of like it's got padded shoulders) but I kind of feel that if I have to ride with a super thick pad, the saddle doesn't fit right. Also she puts her ears back when I tighten the girth. Some of this is just her being a mare but I don't think that's entirely the issue. The pad I used yesterday was a normal sized one and when we went to lope she bucked me clean off. And she doesn't buck. She's a turd sometimes and crowhops but never full out bucks like that. Also, the only other time she offered to buck was when I was riding with that same pad and saddle.

If it doesn't fit I guess I'm barrel racing in my English saddle lol.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok never mind, I checked the saddle and need no confirmation that it is too wide. Not to sound vain but it didn't take me long to figure that out. I've just been using a band-aid solution (thicker pad) to fix it.

Never mind then.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
But I do wonder if anyone has ever had trouble with the (english) stirrup leather buckle bruising the inside of your leg from where it sits under the flap. I've got bruises on my thighs from that and wonder if there's something I can do to stop it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don’t normally ride in an English saddle but one time when I was selling a pony I had a lady came out to try her and she brought her own custom county saddle, if I remember correctly it was a dressage saddle (she was a very
Little lady and no saddle I had would fit her). But what she did with her stirrup leathers I thought was cool. She would slide the buckle all the way to the iron and cut off the extra leather so you would not have as much bulk under your leg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts