The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Tucker endurance saddle for my horse and I cannot decide if it fits. I thought it did when I initially tried it on him - it seemed that the bars were sitting behind his shoulder blade and didn't extend over his loins, didn't feel any obvious pressure points. I cinched it up and walked him a bit and he seemed happy - but now I'm having doubts. I haven't ridden in it yet, but I have done ground work with him in it. He is unhappy about tacking up, which makes me think that maybe it doesn't fit, but he gives me similar attitude sometimes if he knows we are just going to go do arena work. Once it's on he seems fine, but he did bite at the stirrup a couple times when we were doing some ground poles in it. I'm just having a lot of doubts now about whether it actually fits or not.

I've attached a few pictures I took about a month ago. I know they aren't the best angles, so I'm going to try and get better ones tomorrow. We weren't able to work with our horses for about a month during lockdown in our state, but our barn is now allowing people to work with and ride their horses again, so now I'm revisiting the issue. Thank you for any help you can offer! I know it can be difficult to tell by just looking at stationary pictures. This has truly been a journey!

Attachments

·
Registered
49,419 Posts
It's hard to tell when you have it rigged up with a pad underneath, but one thing is that I do believe it is meant to be cinched with a 'center fire' rigging system. Consequently, without the rear portion of the saddle pulled down, the front might be pulled down too much.
It sort of looks like it perches on top of his back, rather than sort of coming down and around it, as a well fitting saddle should.
My friend had a saddle like that, for a very round backed horse, and no matter how tight she pulled the cinch, it always slid out of place. I rode in it only once, and the darn thing wallowed like a ship on the sea. I hated it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been wondering about the rigging actually! I had the exact question you answered in the back of my head. The back of the saddle likes to bounce when I lunge him at the trot and i haven't been able to tell if I had it rigged wrong or if it was an overall issue with the fit.

I'll try and get some better pictures without a pad tonight. I'll also try rigging it correctly and see how that changes things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh actually I looked into it and the rigging is designed for a rear cinch instead of centerfire rigging. I talked to Tucker and they confirmed that the rear D is for a rear cinch and you unfortunately can't use it to do centerfire rigging. I'm going to take new pictures tonight and look into rear cinches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alrighty, I got some new pictures. I hope these help a little more. I included two side views of him too. He's quite out of shape right now after a month off...

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
In the last side pic of the saddle (horse's left side) it looks like either the saddle is too wide or the horse has a dip behind the withers. I can't tell from the right side pic because of the mane and angle of the pic. If the saddle fits on the right side, you may need to shim the left side for the dip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts