Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I will be purchasing a saddle soon for my QH...I have been told by two trainers that he has a "short back". He is 5 and I am working with a trainer to get him connected and in a more rounded frame. Because of his short back I was thinking of a saddle with a round skirt but I also was looking at rough out training saddles. It seems like most saddles with a round skirt are trail saddles...could I use a saddle like the following for training? I need a saddle that has lots of contact and one that would be easy to post in...
15" 16" 17" Circle Y Round Skirt Flex2 Saddle Reg, Wide, or Extra Wide Tree "Omaha" 1554 *w/matching pad or Cash DIscount*
Thanks!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
FWIW, I got this saddle (FQHB, 7" gullet, fits most horses in the QH style) custom made from Corriente for less than $700 and I couldn't be happier with it. Because it's a Modified Association tree, it's comfortable for the long haul and secure enough for fractious youngsters. I bought it for breaking in colts because it's inexpensive enough that I wouldn't be out 2 months paycheck if it was to get torn up, but I also use it for all my other riding.

It fits everything from a 16.2, 1500 pound draft cross

to a 13.1 Shetland x QH that belonged to a customer (he was uber short backed too)

and this mare had the super short back and was also just about as mutton withered and flat backed as any horse I've ever rode.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Firstly, you need to measure your horse from behind his scapula to his last true rib. This could mean a 17" may not fit as the bars are longer than 15 and 16". The round skirt reduces the likelihood of the hips being rubbed. You also need to know what shape of tree fits. Google horsesaddleshop and scout around for their templates. They are free to download. Print them out and transfer to cardboard. 1/2 of each template will be for the horse and the other half for the saddle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.