The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I’m realizing I really need to get a saddle for my little mare. And I need advice real bad.

She is super long in the body—like, a 63 inch fly sheet doesn’t quite fit her, but she has vbery short legs and neck, so she only stands 12’3. Basically a tube on pegs.

As she only weighs around 800# by my best estimate (and should probably be thinner,) I dont want to add any excessive weight. I weigh a scant 120. I dont want a 20# saddle. The less weight I add, the better.

I measured her gullet...I think. From that, she seems wide. Like, I think she’d need an 8 inch gullet, not 7. Her back length is like 19 inches from shoulder to where ribs end...assuming I’m measuring right.

I’D rather do western, but I can ride English if necessary. It seems like I’d need a 15 inch seat western, 16 English. But I’m scared that a 16” saddle would be too long for her back. But, maybe I’m wrong?

Can anyone recommend a comfortable light saddle that won’t cost a fortune?

As I live way out in Kauai, shipping costs a fortune. I really don’t want to make an expensive mistake. :/

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,754 Posts
A 16" English saddle is a youth/junior sized saddle.
If you are under 5'2" that size is a possibility for you to sit in and have proper weight distribution across your horses back.
You describe a horse/pony built with a draft body on toothpicks..
8" gullet fits a draft horse. Are you positive she needs a full draft horse width gullet?

As for weight of the saddle itself...
Synthetic to me are far lighter than leather especially in western tack.
However, a English saddle or similar style would still be lighter in weight than western and also because of style of construction be sleeker in saddle bulk skirt length.

With your 120 pound weight, you are not a child but a adults weight.
If me, you would not be sitting in anything smaller than a 16.5" saddle, the smallest of adult sizes made.
This allows proper coverage of a adults body in saddle flap width and length that the youth sizes saddles don't have.
And lastly, if you would sit in a 15" western saddle, that sizes you a minimum of a 16.5" English and much more likely a 17" seat.
Since you did not write of what it is you do astride for riding, possibly a Aussie style saddle would be something to consider too as they are shaped similar to the skirting of a English and many are more "stock" style of western discipline.
I see many by me riding Paso horses, small in stature they are 13 hands average and these saddles seem to fit the animals anatomy well with regards to back length.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks. Looking at australian saddles has helped. And I’ll double check on how wide she is when I go out to see her today. My 14 hand horse is very wide, so I can try his saddle on her and see if she is wide like he is, or normal.

Unfortunately, I have a saddle I want and am having a heck of time getting anyone to ship it to me in hawaii. CRY.

The one place that does seem to be willing to ship would cost an extra $150-ish.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, it’s 200 extra. Plus $10 for shipping. But...they would allow me to return it for cash back, AND they’d pay for return shipping. Which is huge.

Maybe $200 extra isnt so much to pay. Especially as anyone else who charges me for shipping is gonna cost like $75 anyway. :/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts