The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm not sure how to correctly fit a western saddle pad. I've found conflicting source online. My horse has a very short back and her saddle has a square skirt. The saddle fits perfectly, but I'm not sure what length to use. This saddle pad is obviously too short. It has a 27in spine. I was looking at getting a 28, but I'm not sure if that's long enough. Where exactly is a saddle pad supposed to sit on the horse? I don't like it when people have their pads way over their horses' shoulders and way past their hips. I don't know if it causes harm but it looks stupid. I need a good pad but first need to know how one is supposed to fit. Advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Why do you think that saddle pad doesn't fit? From the pictures, it appears that 100% of the saddle is being supported by the saddle pad which would be my #1 priority. If you want 1/2" of pad to be sticking out in the front and back of the saddle then get a 28" but I'd be happy with how it is currently (especially on a short-backed horse!). If you want an 1" of pad sticking out, then go with a 29".

I found this video from 5-Star: How to measure your saddle for a 5-Star pad

As long as your saddle properly fits and it isn't moving off of the pad as it is now, I wouldn't be too concerned. But then again, I despise the trend of oversized saddle pads being used.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like a bit more to stick out in the front because I feel like there' not enough support there. Then again, she's slightly underweight because wintertime. She could stand to fill out a teeny bit. There was a dry spot behind her shoulder when I used this pad so I'd like some of the pad to reach out in front of the saddle to keep it off the shoulder a little. I'm gonna have to spend $120 on a pad...it's the only one I can find that's a 28in and felt! 😭. I'm tied between these two. I have pros and cons with both. Fleece is hard to clean but is super moisture wicking. Felt seems to be thicker and more shock absorbent. And Idk how the barrel pad will look under a square skirted saddle.

Contoured Barrel Saddle Pad | Weaver Leather | Western Tack Big Dee's Horse Tack & Vet Supplies

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
I am a weirdo when it comes to saddle pads and having the same exact amount in front of my saddle as the back.
Because of the amount of drop on your current pad at least an inch in front or back looks better and gives you a little more wiggle room for where your saddle sits on the pad.
You could get away with less drop if you order another pad.
Just my opinion, but I think a rounded barrel pad will look weird under your square skirted saddle. Especially if your skirts will over hang the pad.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well the ProChoice pad looks like it's on backorder, so you might have to wait a bit for that one.

I know how hard it can be to find a pad for a short backed horse. It seems like any time I go look at a pad that looks pretty, it's huge and maaaaaybe it might fit my mare, but I'm not gonna spend that much money on a pad since she retired from riding 5 years ago. My Haffie gelding has a short back, so I try to stick to the shortest pads I can for him. It's easier there that his main saddle is a Ghost Quevis treeless so I can use a more english cut pad, but I do like my contour Diamond Wool endurance pad that's a 28" spine that goes with my western endurance saddle as it doesn't interfere with his hips, and it's got a nice wither cutout. Unfortunately I don't think it would go well with a square skirt saddle because it's really contour cut, but I have used a 30x30 Diamond wool pad in the past with a Wade ranch saddle, and he was fine with it.

I prefer wool felt over fleece; seems like it cushions the saddle better and wicks sweat better.

·
Registered
49,450 Posts
Once you pull that pad more up into gullet more, I think it will be fine. If you don't want to spend more money,, then that one will do, IMO. But, if yu like to treat yourself with new things,, by all means get one an inch or two longer. Too long and it will rub the hair off of the hip of your horse tho.

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
I would not want much out front of the saddle....if it fits, it fits.
To much peeking out front is also going to settle and tighten now restricting potential shoulder motion.
To much out back can indeed rub...
An inch sticking out front/back would be perfect...saddle pads should not overwhelm the saddle, just outline it.
You could do with a pad with not quite so much side drop, but not skimp either.
Square pad to square skirt, round pad to round skirts or rubs are going to potentially occur and indeed "mixing" would look funny to me.
🐴...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there an issue with the drop? I know it looks goofy because the pad isn't long enough. The pad under the saddle actually isn't mine, I borrowed it. I think 28in should be long enough. I found the ProChoice one somewhere else and will probably get that once I sell another saddle of mine. A 30x30 would be so easy, why aren't more pads made with a 28in spine? I'm thinking of making some phone calls lol.

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
I googled the dimension and saw a lot that fit your need...some about that price, that exact pad and some more expensive...
Those sized are out there if you just ask, look in the right places..
🐴...

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Is there an issue with the drop? I know it looks goofy because the pad isn't long enough.
Agreed. The drop is fine, like you, I think it looks weird because there isn't more pad in front and behind the skirts.
You could go shorter on the drop if you wanted to so you can have a little more feel under your leg or if you wanted to add a simple wool blanket on top if you were showing.

Reactions: ChieTheRider

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I googled the dimension and saw a lot that fit your need...some about that price, that exact pad and some more expensive...
Those sized are out there if you just ask, look in the right places..
🐴...
Links? Or names? I've found only a couple 28in pads that are even close to that price. I'd like to stay under 100. A weaver felt is 75. But they don't make it in a 28. There's a 5Star but those are way out of my price range.

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
Schneider Tack had a few.
I also tried large pony western saddle pad
Small horse western saddle pad.
And when I googled, I also saw 29" available but did not click on it...
Its not a common size so harder to find, but they are out there if the saddle is so is a pad to fit.
🐴...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The pad fits the saddle fine. Saddle appears to be up over the horse's shoulders though, too far forward. Can't say for sure just from that pic tho.
No I agree, I noticed that when posting this. Her shoulders are funky and I sometimes put the saddle too far forward at first.

What about a pad like this? https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Wool...ocphy=9011692&hvtargid=pla-570303505095&psc=1 I know it's "round", but the corners are square. Would that look dumb?

Or this? Weaver Trail Wool Felt Pad

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
I think either of those pads are nice quality and would work well.
Wool is wool, ....
I think the Weaver pad is a bit more contour shaped for wither room.
I've not used the other style with the open wither back strapped across the very edge...to me it looks designed for wither clearance that strap could also cut into the wither.
Personal preference which to choose based on experiences with both styles.
I prefer the contour shape but admit not used/exposed to the benefit of the other one.

I did read comments for...
The Diamond Wool pad...
The spine measures 28". The drop on the skirts is the 33". The underside is split at the spine.
However... I don't see this pad listed at 28" spine length. Did I miss it?

I went looking for a large selection of western pads in "affordable" price range, meaning synthetic fleece through the affordable wool pads like Weaver produces and found several.
I do shop at Chick Saddlery for items like this that can be a savings in my pocket..
I've never been disappointed in what I purchased as description blurbs are very accurate and if a mistake is made, their customer service was/is great to work with.
This is a small assortment of pads they offer.

I looked at other pads Amazon offered....this might do what you want, is very affordable and wool...

So, when reading pad dimensions though..and what the size of the pad under your saddle is...
Your horse could probably deal with a 30" spine length...at worst adding 1" - 1.5" more length front and back gives you a bit of wiggle room so no rub to the loin area for saddle movement when riding if that concerns you.
If you do something that has "contouring"...you are also allowing and adding that extra shoulder room needed...
Just some ideas and it might open up a large new offering of pads for you.
If you're not sure the size will work...use a old sheet or large towel for spine length to visualize what works and what not with your saddle placed carefully on top.
🐴...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts