The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just started riding english a while ago and i was always using a square pad underneath a shaped pad. is this the right way to use it or can i just use whichever i want?i have a fleece shaped pad and a quilted square pad if it makes any diffrence.thnx!

·
Registered
338 Posts
first of all, welcome to english! what your doing is perfectly fine! however, one of the most common way pads are used it a square pad and a fleece so you can also do that. As long as the saddle fits, its also fine to just use a flece pad

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can i also just use a square pad?i was thinking about getting a new square pad but i didnt know if it would be as comfortable for my horse.my saddle fits her fine but it slips a little when i ride.i tighten the girth up periodically and it still slips. any help?

·
Registered
338 Posts
i do know people who only use a square pad, im assuming its fine if your confident that the saddle fits your horse. the theory is if the saddle fits perfect, no pad is needed, but i always use something for comfort. as for why your saddle slips, it may be that it needs to be secured to the pad with the billet straps, but its hard to be sure without seeing. it would help to know what you mean by slips, is it falling to the side?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes its falling to the side ever so slightly. whats a billet strap?is it the straps on the saddle pad?i thought they attached some wheres but i couldnt figure out where.(you can tell im a novice in english!)im thinking about getting a smaller girth.

·
Registered
338 Posts
haha we all have to start somewhere! the billet straps are the straps on the pad that help secure the saddle, heres a video to help
.however if its falling to the side, most likely the girth is too loose, it should be rather difficult to pull away from the horses stomach, or the last hole you put it on should be kind of hard to get to. i hope this helps!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah it helps a whole lot! i was thinkin about cutting the straps which i could find no use for off!lol!

·
Registered
338 Posts
hahah! good thing you didnt!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Maybe also get a breastplate or breast girth

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ride in a sheepskin 1/2 pad and a quilted saddle pad. Sometimes I just ride in a half pad or the saddle pad, not both. But, it depends on how confident you are that your saddle fits your horse.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
You can do what you're doing now, there's nothing wrong with it. You can also ride with just one or the other. If you plan on showing, either just the shaped pad or just the square pad would be best. If your saddle pad is slipping around, there should be a loop along the bottom part of the pad that you can slide your girth through and there should be straps with velcro along the front side and there you can loop it around your billets. This will help keep your saddle PAD from slipping around. If you saddle slips just a bit, that's normal because the horse is moving around. If it slips back a lot, you may need to get a breast collar to help hold your saddle in place. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
yea i agree, at home i ride in a shaped numnah but when i got eventing i where a Polly Pad for extra comfort but when i go showing it sont where any numnahs or saddle cloths and my saddle can sumtimes slip then, coz alfie has a very wierd back shape :p, but we have to keep doing the girth up like every 2 minutes before my class n is fine :D xx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts