The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok well I have to say I appreciate the subbers who are letting me know they have the same issue, I don't feel so alone now at least!! :)

NOW>>>anyone out there who HAD this same issue and has FIXED it successfully?? Come on, help us ALL out! ;-)

Reactions: mvinotime

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
It's worse toward the end of winter when my mare starts shedding, but so far is still noticeable in the middle of summer.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The most frustrating part for me is not knowing what caused it since it kinda came out of nowhere! And I've been trying out different kinds of pads but since the hair is already rubbed so short, I can't tell if any of them are actually working!!

To make matters worse, Sandie now has 2 more of her stupid collagen granuloma lumps on her back caused by her allergies (usually to some sort of insect bite)...so now I'm dealing with those getting bigger and bigger! I'm thinking we may have to go on another riding hiatus and just lounge her in a surcingle while things heal up and grow back :-/ *sigh*

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
it is because of the courseness of the winter coat. I have a similar problem only mine is where my leg contacts my horse (and he does NOT need a lot of leg, my leg is stable etc).
The only way I've found to fix it is to clip the horse.

my horse has the exact same problem. and the saddle was checked and it fits perfect I also use a raiser pad and sheepskin. I don't really have any advice (still trying to find out the problem myself) but I'll be happy to see what everyone else says
If you need a riser pad then your saddle does NOT fit.

If your saddle fits without it and you put a riser pad in you will cause the saddle to sit back and it will no longer fit.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Faye, I guess I'll quit worrying about it then...and body clip my horse next time! ;-) LOL

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So ummm UPDATE it is happening YET AGAIN...only this year, she was body clipped...and I can STILL see it happening even though her hair is super short!! This is the third year I've posted about it on here, and no one seems to know why it happens, but I know by re-reading this old thread again that others do have my same problem.

So here's my thought this year...my saddle is a 17"..but WHAT IF I bought one of those extra long pads that are tailored to 18-19" saddles? Would a longer pad extending further behind me prevent the edge from rubbing anymore? She IS quite the long backed horse...

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here's a more recent pic of her and I circled in red where the hair would be rubbed off on either side...it's just behind the saddle pad/saddle panels.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Does your mare sweat much in the winter when she is being worked?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No, she never does now because she is body clipped so she really doesn't have all that much hair ;) I'll have to get a close up of her back for you all so you can see what it looks like this year.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here's a little snippet from a clinic I took last summer and you can kind of see how she moves. I also want to mention I had a professional saddle fitter come out after this video was taken...she checked the saddle for fit and ended up reflocking the wool to fit to Sandie's back. So I am pretty darn confident saddle fit is not the issue...because even after all that, it's still doing this it seems.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Have not read all posts. Sorry...on a new tablet and I am an idiot.

Is the saddle bridging?

Reactions: Celeste

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
If your saddle is of a better quality and flocked with wool, you can eliminate the pad or cloth. As the horse sweats it will help the saddle conform to it's back. It takes about 20 rides for this to happen. In the meantime it's a chance to see if it eliminates the problem.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Have not read all posts. Sorry...on a new tablet and I am an idiot.

Is the saddle bridging?
I sure hope not after the saddle fitter was just out custom fitting the saddle to her back :shock: You know what...maybe I should email HER and see if she's got any ideas why the hair rubbing happens - geez how did it take me this long to think up THAT idea?! :lol:

Will let you all know what she says!

Reactions: Dustbunny

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If your saddle is of a better quality and flocked with wool, you can eliminate the pad or cloth. As the horse sweats it will help the saddle conform to it's back. It takes about 20 rides for this to happen. In the meantime it's a chance to see if it eliminates the problem.
That's a good idea, and pretty much the only one I haven't tried up to this point! So why not, I think I'll give it a go!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Wait, so this rubbing is occurring under the saddle pad, but not under the saddle itself? Sounds like the pad is way too large. Have you tried using something with a spine closer to the length of your saddle? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding or it sounds like a dumb suggestion...

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Eh my mare has the same issue. Doesn't rub it comepletely off but breaks it off so its shorter and courser. I just don't do anything about because it doesn't rub her hair completely.

I have different pads I use and they all do it. They vary in length and that doesn't change it. English or western it did it. I just move on.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I don't ride English but I'm having the same issue this winter. I honestly thought it was my pad because I usually use the same brand but switched to a different one to test out.
It's doing it on a couple of my horses, switched pads this last week and can't tell yet if it's the pad or the extremely wooly coat with long hours. But never had this problem before! Hmmm..
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
881 Posts
I was going to say bad saddle fit.. which I feel would be the most obvious I think. But since you said you had a saddle fitter customize your saddle then never mind.

I guess maybe the material of the saddle pad you have.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.