The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations or experiences to share about the kind of dressage saddles that fit their Iberian and/or short backed horses?

I have been looking for a saddle for months for my 8 year old Andalusian gelding. He has a short back, round body, and a very large shoulder.

I am interested in Spirig, Verhan, Passier, Amerigo, and Country. Does anyone have any experience in how they fit a short backed/large shouldered horse?
I am open to other recommendations too. My budget is somewhat low (under $2000), being a college student and all.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
No fair - I wanted to see pix! Not here cos I have answers for you sorry! But have you spoken to any saddle manufacturers, fitters, or other dressage riders?

So... you said Iberian but then said Andalusian, then I googled & it also gave me Lusitano... So are Iberian horses a subset of Andalusian or something, or is it a lable for a variety of horses from that area or something? Are they known for being short backed? The pics I saw from Google seemed to show a range of back lengths too. Pardon my questions that don't help your issue!

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
I have always heard that in reference to horses from the Iberian Peninsula whether of Spanish or Portugese descent and being baroque in build. All of those breeds and then some would qualify though now you don't always see the build that you expect to see.

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
There are several brands that have saddles made with that body shape in mind. Best bet is to google saddle companies that have saddles to fit baroque breeds. Get an idea of what you want in those brands/styles and look for a used one. Black Country is a name that comes up often but most of the well know saddles have something. Keiffer Lusitano and Stubben Genesis would be examples. The horse my child rides that is very much built like that the owner has a Passier that works well. My child rides in a Smith Worthington. You really just need to get a good set of pictures and measurements to work with. You may be surprised at what will fit once you look at that. At least that was my experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iberian is just a name for the horses from the Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal). Both Andalusians and Lusitanos are known for having short backs and large shoulders. My boy is an Andalusian.

I have only talked to Voltaire but their saddles are wayyy out of my price range. I wanted to see what I could find online in terms of peoples experiences before contacting the maker themselves.

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
I rode an Andalusian, for about 6 years. He was a bit short backed, and had big shoulders, but he also had significant withers. I can't remember what brand we used. I think a County might be worth looking at. I also love Passier, they do tend to have a narrow twist, which is nice for the rider if you are already working to get your leg around a very round horse.

would you be so kind as to post photos?

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
Well I mentioned several that have saddles that would fit. All could be found in your price range either as a used demo through the company or used through consignment (Pelham Saddlery is great to work with). We love our two Smith Worthingtons and the rest I know people that have them for that type horse or I would not have mentioned them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts