The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 16.5" cc/jump saddle. I have one but it does not fit the horse and I need to upgrade the size. It s a courbette cc 16" that I am selling for $350 on a few facebook pages and fb marketplace, but no one has contacted me about it. Is that too much for the type of saddle I am selling? I plan to use the money from the sale and a little more money to buy a used saddle that fits me and I can use. Does this sound reasonable or do I have too high expectations? It's my first time doing this and I am not too experienced in the world of saddles. I know about as much as any other equestrian and know what I am looking for and what to steer clear of. I contacted a tack store selling saddles but they said they could not sell it for me. It's a extremely comfortable saddle with nice leather and little discoloration and wear. Completely sound tree as well. I hope to get it sold asap so I can look for a saddle soon and know my budget. What is the most important thing to say in an advertisement? Where is the best place to advertise this? How do I get the best deal?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Do you have a picture of it? Does it have knee rolls?

Best thing you can do when pricing a saddle is checking what the saddle is selling for (or not selling for!) on Ebay.

To get it to sell quicker, measurements, measurements, measurements. Seat measurement and button-to-button measurement are most important, you can also add in flap length and width, along with point of tree to point of tree measurement. The more information, the more likely you are to find a buyer.

I sell most of my saddles on FB Marketplace and in FB groups (like "Used Tack for Sale in XYZ State"). I also sell on EBay, but they take a portion of your sales unless you are an Ebay member. Craigslist can be good, depending on where you live.

Reactions: CrazyMaisie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a picture of it? Does it have knee rolls?

Best thing you can do when pricing a saddle is checking what the saddle is selling for (or not selling for!) on Ebay.

To get it to sell quicker, measurements, measurements, measurements. Seat measurement and button-to-button measurement are most important, you can also add in flap length and width, along with point of tree to point of tree measurement. The more information, the more likely you are to find a buyer.

I sell most of my saddles on FB Marketplace and in FB groups (like "Used Tack for Sale in XYZ State"). I also sell on EBay, but they take a portion of your sales unless you are an Ebay member. Craigslist can be good, depending on where you live.
No, it does not have knee rolls. I bought it used from my old instructor when I didn’t know a thing about saddles. Thats why I am thinking the price might be too high. To get the saddle I want, though, it is around the price point I need. I also bought it at $350 but oiled it and conditioned it up so its good as new. I have all measurements including gullet width, buttons, and seat size. Ill attach a picture.
EA042307-57D5-47C8-820A-8C27A0F333E4.jpeg
1BBE9827-1681-46C7-BDFD-DB55F419BC6D.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
14,682 Posts
Nice saddle, very old style...it is a real close-contact saddle.
You have a very selective and small audience this saddle will be wanted by.
If your measurements are accurate the saddle is not a popular size.
Your saddle is a mix of child and youth but not considered a small adult which starts at the 16.5 inch mark.
You also have a old brand, nothing wrong with it but it is not a fad known name but a old, well made saddle manufacturer.
If you have plain flaps, they are out of fad so again harder to sell cause most today are only interested in riding the fad look which is that "padded" flap look.
If your saddle is a true close-contact that is also not in fad or fashion today close-contact saddles...so many seem to have a puffy knee-roll flap appearance, knee and thigh blocks to lock riders in position.
Based on all those things...$350 may be what its worth but you will be lucky to see $200 for it I think.
🐴...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I agree with HLG - I would list it at $250 and be open to offers. Unfortunately knee rolls are pretty much the standard at this point, and it will be hard to sell for the same price that a saddle with knee rolls can be purchased at.

Reactions: CrazyMaisie

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Try to market it on English specific sites. I find it's very hard to sell English tack in my area, but I FINALLY sold a kids saddle after a couple years of doing nothing with it to a trainer. You practically have to give it away. Generally you don't make money when buying a saddle to use, you get your time out of it, and then you lose a little cash. But it was worth it because of the time you spent in it. Be patient, sometimes it takes a while. Do you have a tack consignment near you? Or perhaps a lesson barn near you in need of a good saddle? I've sold saddles by word of mouth too- just ask around.

But if you're asking my honest opinion, I'd start to gradually mark the price down until you get more bites. What are other saddles of similar quality selling for on those tack pages/in your area? That's usually the best way to decide what to charge.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
In this area saddles of that type are in the $200 to $275 range and sit. Those that have sold were on consignment where they could be seen, touched, tried on the horse by the rider. Impulse purchases.

So many want the latest and greatest that they purchase cheap knock offs before sinking money into a quality saddle.

I expect you'll get bites if you lower the price. Come up with cutesy ad.... Tired of being locked in - Go with the flow. This no roll close contact is perfect for _. Courbette is quality through and through...

Anywho, you get the picture.

·
Registered
787 Posts
In my locale that would sell for maybe $150 and it would be bought for a child, a petite adult beginner, or an inexpensive saddle for a lesson barn to use. If that model has a name and a tree size, like "Stylist" and 32cm, be sure to include that in your ads. Post it on all the facebooks you have access to, including local yard sale ones because maybe someone's aunt or mom or grandma will be looking there to buy a kid a saddle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts