The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If your saddle slips back then it most likely an issue with fit. A different type pad might help if the fit is close but not exact. But some fit issues require a new saddle.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Saddles usual slip back for one of three main reasons
(i) the tree's too narrow, so the saddle slides back to a narrower part of the back
(ii) the saddle tree's too wide, so the front naturally drops and slides backwards
(iii) the saddle tree's the correct width but the panel shape is wrong or needs adjustment

Your horse looks slightly croup-high so (ii) is less likely, and being a larger rider is only likely to affect a flocked saddle. They're often very soft nowadays and a heavier rider, with balance biased forward due to the horse's conformation, is likely to compress the front flock more quickly than someone lighter.

And of course I'm talking English saddles, though I suspect the same would be true for western. I've little experience of the latter so don't usually try to advise - there'll be someone with far more experience of them somewhere on here :)

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Are you setting the saddle too far forwards to begin with, and it is ending up where it needs to be?

To me, I would lean more to the saddle doesn't fit. Pictures are needed though.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might not need pictures after all. The horses I use the saddles on are still gaining muscle. I think it has to do with the shape of this particular horse. His shoulder pocket is a little farther back than where his girth is supposed to go. I rode him today in my new dressage saddle and the Y girthing helped a lot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.