The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous thread about saddle cleaning got me wondering...

What do you guys swear by?

I currently use Bickmore Cleaner and Bickmore Conditioner. I've used Fiebing's mink, but it darkens the leather. My Longhorn is this gorgeous russet leather that I don't want to change the color on at all. My barn swears by Neatsfoot, but I've found it darkens as well.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Personally, I use Fiebing's saddle soap at least once per week but especially after a hard ride to get the sweat off. Then once per month I'll use hydrophane or Blackrock as a conditioner. What I like about Blackrock is that it does not darken the leather at all and does a nice job of keeping the leather supple.

I enjoy taking care of my tack so, for me, it's no problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow...just got some Blackrock and tested it on my boots...they look fantastic. Plus, it doesn't really smell like pickles, like Bickmore does.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I use Lexol cleaner and Passier Lederbalsam conditioner. For "light conditioner" I use Belvior Conditioner (spray). Neither darken very much, once the leather dries and soaks it all up.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I clean all my tack basically every day with Fiebing's saddle soap. That way, I never need to condition it! So I'm being lazy without being lazy lol.
Before a show I take everything apart and get in there with a toothbrush and a vinegar solution to keep all the little creatures at bay. And at that point I'll chuck some Passier Lederbalsam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.