The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if a 2 year old saddle bred is 14.2hh how tall might i expect it to get? talking about a normal healthy horse i know not to set faith in any height but just a idea parrents are unknown

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
You need to string horse. Ergot to elbow. Elbow to withers.

Take hay string and place one end at ergot, holding it there with one hand, and with the other hand run it up to the point of elbow.

Hold the string firm at elbow, and take the ergot end and swivel it past elbow so that it goes up towards withers. Where it ends will be where horse will top out.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Another way you can do it is take a measuring tape or string. Take it to the middle of the straight down to the hairline of the cornet above the hoof. How many inches that is, is how many hands the horse will be. Like for example the horse measured 15 inches. Then grown he will be 15 hands. If you horse is 14.2 at two I wouldn't be shocked if he tapes around 15.2 to 16 hands
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Peppy, I think you left out knee or at least that's the way I've always measured to get an estimated height. Middle of knee to coronet band.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Whoops your right my brain was faster than my fingers lol. Middle of the KNEE down to the cornet!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
The one I can think of (with no supporting scientific evidence as this may be an old wives tale) is a yearling will grow three more inches of height; a two year old two inches; and a three year old one more inch.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another way you can do it is take a measuring tape or string. Take it to the middle of the straight down to the hairline of the cornet above the hoof. How many inches that is, is how many hands the horse will be. Like for example the horse measured 15 inches. Then grown he will be 15 hands. If you horse is 14.2 at two I wouldn't be shocked if he tapes around 15.2 to 16 hands
Posted via Mobile Device

this method would put him at 17hh it is almost exactly 17 inches

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.