The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Do any of you love this stuff as much as I do? I mean, it is the open minded thing that I love. People who grew up around a certain breed and made their life about a certain discipline and now given an opportunity they jump at a chance to give something else a try. They go into it with an open mind and come away from it with a new appreciation for something they might have never thought about or maybe disliked prior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ycY1S-BbwI

The nasty comments I read from some people about disciplines or breeds they don't like or understand always amaze me. We are supposed to be horse lovers, so doesn't that include all horses? I mean, I don't expect people to love all breeds, I don't. I just think that we should be able to look at other disciplines with open minds and eyes and maybe learn a bit and appreciate a bit about them.

I would love to see more videos that show someone learning/appreciating a discipline they are not used to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm with you Inga. I love this stuff and hope these types of events and the internet in general, helps to open minds and clear up some of the ubiquitous and blatant misinformation that has been floating around for decades...especially in regards to saddlebreds.

...and you are right, it is not about having to 'like' a certain style, it is about being an educated and tolerant horseman or horsewoman, which I think we all aspire to be. :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not watched the video yet, but I love the idea! There is no bad horse breed...

Nancy
Absolutely! It isn't just about a breed, it is about a discipline. Wouldn't it be fun to have the opportunity to try a different discipline like they did? If you were always Western, it might be fun to try English. If you were always Huntseat, it might be fun to try Saddleseat or Western. Dressage might be fun or Barrel Racing etc...

Far to often it seems that people of different disciplines not only don't mix (think oil and water) but they stand in judgement of other disciplines without even really knowing what those disciplines are all about. What do they really entail. I thought it was fun to hear the excitement as well as the respect from both sides on this challenge. I bet they both walk away with a new understanding of what each discipline entails. Good for them. I wish we could all do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.