The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some input on dressage saddles. I'm looking to get a nice used one for about $800-$1000. I have a typical high withered TB - what brands would you suggest that are best for all 'roud fit and, comfort, and durability for a good price?

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
You still have to try before you buy. :) But out of new ones in your price range I'd try M Toulouse and Collegiate (I'd suggest Thornhill I own and really like, but it's designed towards wider horses). Out of used ones I'd look into Stubben, Kieffer and Passier.

There are other nice ones you can get used: KN, Courbette, County (if you are lucky).

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a Schleese that I bought used because it could be fitted to my TB. They tend to be more expensive, even used, but a friend of mine managed to find a used one for $900.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I looooove my M Toulouse Aachen, and it's in your price range too. VERY nice soft and already broken in "double leather". I've heard it will wear out faster than the printed leather, and I know from experience that it "wrinkles" easily, but I still love it and the thing feels like I am sitting in a COUCH :)

Pelham Saddlery: M. Toulouse Aachen Dressage18.5 XW

Here's Sandie and I doing a test in it ;-)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I followed that link and Pelham seems to have a really good selection of used saddles. I think that's my new favorite store!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
for reference i have a Kieffer and absolutely love it and it fits my horse like a dream which makes me beyond happy.

here is my boy with his saddle:

and without so you can see the withers i'm talking about:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I ride a high withered TB, and my KN fits her very well. Also very comfortable for me!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Amerigo! hee hee well... that's kind of for rich people... but Amerigo and Custom Saddlery are the only one's I've ever ridden in :/ Because I was a working student for a very successful rider xD tee hee!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone!! :D

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
if your horse has high withers (like i'm talking HIGH like my horse has), then the only two i would consider out of those five are the Kieffer and the Rembrandt as they have cutback heads to give good wither clearance. it will also depend on the shape of your horses back as to what is going to fit best. then, get a saddle fitter out to have it flocked/adjusted to fit YOUR horse. :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dressage Saddle

This is probably one of the most uncomfortable dressage saddles I have ever used, but it fits my Arabian almost to perfection. Good thing I have a small butt!

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I had a total blonde moment and didn't realize that the Kieffer is a wide tree - definitely not needing that! Thanks for everyone's input!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.