The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have been riding since I was 9, and was riding huntseat. I started riding Saddleseat about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. I have mostly ridden stock horses as lesson horses so I really struggle with equitation. I can’t seem to keep my knee tight and my lower leg just slips foward and my toes point out. Other than that, I have alright EQ. I purchased my first “real” Saddleseat horse and will be picking him up next Sunday, so I figured I’d document my EQ journey. Anyone have any tips for these problems? Only Saddleseat riders and please be nice 🙂

·
Super Moderator
9,644 Posts
I rode saddleseat horses a few years ago (and loved it). My daughter showed.

What you described was a fairly common problem for riders. I developed a pretty simple exercise for it. (I'm a therapist)

I don't know if I'll be able to explain it. Showing is easier. But I'll try.

I had these riders make a loop of yellow or red exercise band. They secured one end, around a table leg for example. They put their leg through/ into the loop. Standing with your feet slightly wider apart than the width of your shoulders. Here's the part that's tricky to explain. Stand so the band is angled forty-five degrees in relation to your leg. Not straight in front of your knee. Not directly off the side of your thigh. In between. Do 10-15 repetitions. Take a one to two minute rest and do it again.

Do some with the band above your knee and some with the band at, or just above, your ankle. Focus on keeping your toes pointing forward.

See if there is any improvement in two to three weeks.

If you have pain, don't do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I rode saddleseat horses a few years ago (and loved it). My daughter showed.

What you described was a fairly common problem for riders. I developed a pretty simple exercise for it. (I'm a therapist)

I don't know if I'll be able to explain it. Showing is easier. But I'll try.

I had these riders make a loop of yellow or red exercise band. They secured one end, around a table leg for example. They put their leg through/ into the loop. Standing with your feet slightly wider apart than the width of your shoulders. Here's the part that's tricky to explain. Stand so the band is angled forty-five degrees in relation to your leg. Not straight in front of your knee. Not directly off the side of your thigh. In between. Do 10-15 repetitions. Take a one to two minute rest and do it again.

Do some with the band above your knee and some with the band at, or just above, your ankle. Focus on keeping your toes pointing forward.

See if there is any improvement in two to three weeks.

If you have pain, don't do it.
Thank you! I know I'm not the OP but that's a great tip. That's my #1 eq flaw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi! I have been riding since I was 9, and was riding huntseat. I started riding Saddleseat about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. I have mostly ridden stock horses as lesson horses so I really struggle with equitation. I can’t seem to keep my knee tight and my lower leg just slips foward and my toes point out. Other than that, I have alright EQ. I purchased my first “real” Saddleseat horse and will be picking him up next Sunday, so I figured I’d document my EQ journey. Anyone have any tips for these problems? Only Saddleseat riders and please be nice 🙂
Hi! Welcome to Saddleseat Land, as a hunt seat trainer I knew called it. I've ridden Saddleseat since age 7 (so about 7-8 years), and competing Academy for 4. Equitation is my favorite so I think I may be able to help you out!
I have a lot of the same problems. What I do, is squats. Lots of squats. Except, instead of doing normal squats, put your legs in proper riding position. (Ears above your shoulders, shoulders above your hips, hips above your heel. Knee and inner thigh rolled in, calf out to the side. If your really hardcore, do them with your toes hovering above the ground.) This is something recommended to me by an instructor who won toms of huge equitation championships, and it has really worked for me! I went from having legs that swing, knees off the saddle, etc. about 2 years ago to wining 7th place with a first-place vote on the last day of Academy Nationals this year.

Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts