The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the colt i've been waiting for was born on wednesday afternoon. sadly the breeder was not there to witness, nor help assist in foaling. so when the baby was finally born, the placenta(sp?) didn't break and the baby died:( he was a dark palomino colt with a full back blanket. choosen name: Razzle. comments?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
341 Posts
Awww, I'm so sorry. That is my worst nightmare. So sad.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Maybe he was born dead??? If he was, that could explain why mum didn't bother cleaning him off...

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Usually the placenta comes off rather easily. Was the mare being fed fescue hay. Most foals and calves I have seen born break thier face out of the placenta before they are all the way out. Like a previous poster said, I wonder if the foal was still born. It really doesn't matter much now but it is sometimes helpful to know the next time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a baby last season the same way. I know what you are feeling. He never broke the sack. I know you have been waiting with excitement. So sorry again.:cry:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I am sorry to hear that. I just had a set of twin goats born last night that had I not been right there to clean their faces off, I would have lost them both. Sometimes mom knows best, its hard to accept it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.